Sore on yellow tang

FLPilot3190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

My juvenile yellow tang has what appears to be a red sore at the base of his left pectoral fin. I’ve only had him for a month. He came quarantined from Dr Reefs Quarantined Fish and arrived on January 5th. He’s approximately 2.5” in length.

Aquarium Info:
Currently fish only
Waterbox 110.4 (80 gal display, 30 gal sump)
87 gallons total water volume
Radion XR15 lighting
This is a new tank. Started 12/23. Dry rock, live sand, bottled bacteria.

Water Quality:
Temp: 78F
pH: 8.0-8.1 (Milwaukee MC122)
Alkalinity: 8.0dKH (Hanna)
SG: 1.025 (refractometer calibrated weekly)
Ammonia: 0 (Red Sea and API)
Nitrite: 0 (Red Sea and API)
Nitrate: 10 (Hanna)
Phosphate: .07-.10ppm (Hanna Phosphate ULR)
Copper: Haven’t tested but have Hanna on hand

Other Info:
Tank is currently fish only as I’m allowing it to mature a bit before moving the corals over from my older tank.
Other inhabitants: a pair of Ocellaris clowns, Bicolor blenny, Royal Gramma, pair of cleaner shrimp, trochus and nassarius snails.
The clowns, blenny, and royal gramma were quarantined in copper (copper power at 2.5ppm) before being introduced to the current tank. They show no signs of disease.

My tang has a voracious appetite. The fish are fed at least twice daily. Most often I feed frozen spirulina brine and mysis. I also mix in Reef Frenzy, Emerald Entree, TDO Chromaboost pellets, and Reef Nutrition Real Oceans Eggs. The tang and blenny enjoy both green and purple nori an average of 5x per week.

All of the fish get along wonderfully. I’ve spent hours watching them up close and from afar. The only “aggression” I’ve seen was a little bit of open mouth postering from the Royal Gramma toward the Bicolor blenny when they were first introduced to the new tank after quarantine but he paid zero attention to it and they get along well now. No one has ever bullied the tang. Though, he did spend 4-5 days last week angry at his own reflection in the glass. He seems to have moved on from that now, however.

As you can see from the pictures below, the “sore” is at the base of his left pectoral fin. The third picture is of his right side which appears normal. I wish I could say how long it’s been like this but it only really struck me as unusual this evening. The only other pictures/videos I have prior to this evening are from January 27th and he looked completely normal.

Is this a bacterial infection, uronema, or just a wound from him actively pursuing his reflection in the glass for several days?

IMG_0395.jpeg
IMG_0394.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

My juvenile yellow tang has what appears to be a red sore at the base of his left pectoral fin. I’ve only had him for a month. He came quarantined from Dr Reefs Quarantined Fish and arrived on January 5th. He’s approximately 2.5” in length.

Aquarium Info:
Currently fish only
Radion XR15 lighting

Water Quality:

Other Info:
Tank is currently fish only as I’m allowing it to mature a bit before moving the corals over from my older tank.
Other inhabitants: a pair of Ocellaris clowns, Bicolor blenny, Royal Gramma, pair of cleaner shrimp, trochus and nassarius snails.
The clowns, blenny, and royal gramma were quarantined in copper (copper power at 2.5ppm) before being introduced to the current tank. They show no signs of disease.

My tang has a voracious appetite. The fish are fed at least twice daily. Most often I feed frozen spirulina brine and mysis. I also mix in Reef Frenzy, Emerald Entree, TDO Chromaboost pellets, and Reef Nutrition Real Oceans Eggs. The tang and blenny enjoy both green and purple nori an average of 5x per week.

All of the fish get along wonderfully. I’ve spent hours watching them up close and from afar. The only “aggression” I’ve seen was a little bit of open mouth postering from the Royal Gramma toward the Bicolor blenny when they were first introduced to the new tank after quarantine but he paid zero attention to it and they get along well now. No one has ever bullied the tang. Though, he did spend 4-5 days last week angry at his own reflection in the glass. He seems to have moved on from that now, however.

As you can see from the pictures below, the “sore” is at the base of his left pectoral fin. The third picture is of his right side which appears normal. I wish I could say how long it’s been like this but it only really struck me as unusual this evening. The only other pictures/videos I have prior to this evening are from January 27th and he looked completely normal.

Is this a bacterial infection, uronema, or just a wound from him actively pursuing his reflection in the glass for several days?

IMG_0395.jpeg
IMG_0394.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg
This appears to be from an injury as your rocks show a lot of sharp edges. Its should heal on its own but the redness concerns me and I would suggest Ruby rally pro in the tank Or if it worsens, treating with seachem kanaplex in a separate treatment tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Aquarium Info:
Currently fish only
Radion XR15 lighting

Water Quality:

Other Info:

IMG_0395.jpeg
IMG_0394.jpeg
IMG_0386.jpeg
I agree, this is probably a minor injury.

The tang’s belly looks really swollen. Does it thin down after feeding?
We’ve seen some constipation issues in these Biota tangs, perhaps from feeding too much nori that they can’t process easily?

Jay

OP
OP
FLPilot3190

FLPilot3190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you both!

Oddly enough, the red mark went away as quickly as it came. He appears to be back to normal this morning.

Jay, that is something I will definitely keep an eye on. I’ve definitely seen him poop before but I can’t recall how recently. He has a ravenous appetite… he would eat 5-6 times per day if I fed him that often. Even after the other fish have lost interest he still comes back for more. *IF* his stomach stays like this and I don’t notice any bowel movements what should my next course of action be?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both!

Oddly enough, the red mark went away as quickly as it came. He appears to be back to normal this morning.

Jay, that is something I will definitely keep an eye on. I’ve definitely seen him poop before but I can’t recall how recently. He has a ravenous appetite… he would eat 5-6 times per day if I fed him that often. Even after the other fish have lost interest he still comes back for more. *IF* his stomach stays like this and I don’t notice any bowel movements what should my next course of action be?

I would hold off on any food for 24 hours and see if the belly subsides. Handling a blockage in fish is difficult, it will often work out "in the end" if left alone. You may read about adding Epsom salts - don't bother with that, that is for freshwater fish, it doesn't work for marine fish, since that salt is already in high levels in marine aquariums.

Jay

OP
OP
FLPilot3190

FLPilot3190

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I haven’t fed since yesterday morning. Just took these pictures a few minutes ago. Would you say you see a difference in the size of his stomach? I did my best to get both side and front pictures. I can tell he’s definitely hungry this morning.

IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0430.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I haven’t fed since yesterday morning. Just took these pictures a few minutes ago. Would you say you see a difference in the size of his stomach? I did my best to get both side and front pictures. I can tell he’s definitely hungry this morning.

IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0430.jpeg

Still looks a bit "chubby". Still, I don't think it has a blockage. Go ahead the resume feeding.....

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back