PSA: Be careful when buying or selling online! These tips may help you avoid potential scams.

OP
Daniel@R2R

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Do not use Zelle to send/receive money. At least through Chase you will receive absolutely no protection.

If accepting a check of any kind wait a minimum of 3 days after the bank says it has cleared. I've had my bank tell me a check cleared, made the funds available to me only to find my bank had not yet received information from the buyer's bank where the check came from. I even called Chase and asked them if the check had cleared. They said yes. When I asked for their help they couldn't or wouldn't give it. Your bank will make funds available as a courtesy to you. That doesn't mean the check was good. The check given to me was supposedly a cashiers' check, another thing I thought was a better guarantee. It was a fake.

https://www.omegasea.net/

BITADISA

View Badges
Reaction score
can you explain the difference with the "friends and family" option and the other option? I have always used the friends and family option because that is exactly what I usually am doing. I just made a purchase from someone on the forum and used the friends and family option and am now worried that I made a mistake. I dont want to be in violation of the rules on r2r or get into trouble. The person I bought the stuff from is a "valuable member" on here and everything seemed to check out, he has responded well and provided me with tracking info as soon as payment was sent. I guess I just researched it, and apparently the goods and services choice has the fees sent to the seller and offers a protection plan? wheres the friends and family charges me the fee and limited to no protection?
  • Be wary of members that have joined recently or have low post counts. Sometimes the members that are here to scam other members will typically PM members with items to sell, especially in response to a Want to Buy thread. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to ask for proof of ownership pics. Ask the member to show you a pic with a code word, that day's date and the item. If the seller does not want to do this, then run away.

BITADISA

View Badges
Reaction score
  • Be wary of members that have joined recently or have low post counts. Sometimes the members that are here to scam other members will typically PM members with items to sell, especially in response to a Want to Buy thread. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to ask for proof of ownership pics. Ask usa today protonmail the member to show you a pic with a code word, that day's date and the item. If the seller does not want to do this, then run away.
  • Be wary of members that have joined recently or have low post counts. Sometimes the members that are here to scam other members will typically PM members with items to sell, especially in response to a Want to Buy thread. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to ask for proof of ownership pics. Ask the member to show you a pic with a code word, that day's date and the item. If the seller does not want to do this, then run away.

What do you LOVE most about the hobby?

• The Coral

Votes: 188 28.6%
  • The Fish

Votes: 118 17.9%
  • The Relationships

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • The Equipment

Votes: 17 2.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE