PSA "Porch pirates" BEWARE!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
66D27F01-06F7-473F-931B-4A4935C409CA.gif

As a PSA to all members of Reef2reef, Please be aware and on guard for the "Porch Pirates" this time of year!

Locally we've had a rash of stolen packages delivered by delivery companies here in the midwest. I'm very sure it's happening everywhere. It's despicable and shameful for people to take loved ones gifts for Christmas, stolen this time of year, let alone anytime of the year! We at the Flipper household have not been hit, but it's all over the news and facebook here!

As a side note, people's cars have been stolen and broken into in high numbers as well! People starting their cars to warm up in the morning especially! Don't leave a registered fire arm in your car unattended!

Last week, they hit our subdivision and stole thousands of dollars in personal items, including construction tools from numerous work vehicles. Seven cars and trucks in one night!

Please be careful this time of year!

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it sucks.
I had a piece of 1/2"x4'x8' steel plate in my driveway so my wifes car wont bottom out.
A rash of items on our block were
gone in one night including the steel plate.
It takes several people to lift it.
So beware!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Security cameras are a blessing! Flipper approves!
Think I will order one this weekend. Never really thought I would need one.
We have light sensors and that did not stop them. They are very bright when they come on.
Several neighbors do too.
Any particular brand that works through my cell phone you would recommend.
I know nothing about them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Same here. Not sure why we have deer hunting season- save it for this time of the year.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to turn off my ring app alets because off all the posts from people with video of their packages getting stolen. The thieves don't care. They know for the most part it is a petty crime and the cops don't have the man power to go around trying to keep packages safe. Not sure about car break ins around here. That usually spikes in the early summer when school lets out. Seems most of our car break-ins are done by teenagers around here. What I hate the most are the people that get on the message boards and try and defend the teenagers by saying it is just kids being kids. I'm sorry, I've never thought about breaking into someone else's car as a kid, teenager or as an adult.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the ring doorbell, but we also have a giant “mail crate” with a combo lock on it. We leave it unlocked after we empty it with a sign asking the mail person to click it shut when they deliver the mail. It’s big enough so 90% of the packages fit in there and the padlock makes it so that thieves can’t be bothered to break into it when they can’t even see if it’s a package or just junk mail. Works great this time of year since I’m home (school got cancelled cause more than 30% of the students got corona) and my mom is working from home so we’re able to empty it out several times a day. I definitely recommend this to anyone with a porch pirates problem, our neighbors have gotten robbed but they just kinda looked at our crate and figured it wasn’t worth the effort

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone stole the catalytic converter out of my daughters car . Sawed it right out overnight
A few years ago stealing copper pipe was a big deal around here. Guys would break into summer camps and saw out all the copper pipe in the basement and not even turn the water off.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people want the converters is it to sell on eBay?

Mikeht11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people want the converters is it to sell on eBay?
Most converter buying people will give you 100 to 500 depending on the converter. So if you ever have one replaced, ask for your old one back and find a local certified buyer on Facebook. They will come to you with cash. Fyi. Aftermarket cats aren’t really worth anything. It’s gotta be oem to be worth the trouble.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a victim of porch pirates. They stole a box of my mothers favorite candy bars I ordered for Mothers Day. I thought why would someone be so stupid as to risk getting caught when they have no idea what they are stealing. Then the following happened. I have security cameras so I provided the police with the footage. They said it wasn't clear enough for them to do anything with, couldn't read the license plate number. So I bought better cameras. Now the HOA says I can't have them pointed at the street and the local jail has been ordered by a judge to release 50% of the inmates due to Covid. Where does the real stupidity truly lie?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back