PSA "Porch pirates" BEWARE!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We use a ring doorbell, and we really like it. It's been great for monitoring for packages and being careful of theft.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky. My truck had the passenger window smashed and my automotive scan tool stolen early November. The scan tool was not even out in plain sight and hidden under the center console in a zippered pouch with no visible logos. Always kept one in my vehicle since I drive an 1 hour and 15 minutes (one way) to work, just in case I need to diagnose a vehicle issue when far from home. I can only assume he saw something of possible value and did a "Smash and Grab." Sheriffs returned it a few weeks later.

The grandmother called the authorities after discovering several suspicious items in the boys room (including a woman's purse).

Afterwards, we installed Ring cameras and a doorbell.

The kid will have to learn the hard way (best way in my opinion) and face the consequences. Hope he learns and strives for a better future.

Again, I got lucky to get it back. Be safe everyone.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for ring doorbell and a motion activated light in your driveway. Also make sure you stick the Ring sign in your yard. Everyone knows about ring now. That sign will make everyone but the most seasoned thief second guess themselves knowing they will be on camera.

10 years ago I went on my first date with my now wife. When I got home she did not lock the passenger side door when she got out. That night I heard something outside and didn't think anything of it. woke up to see a wire hanging out of my trunk. 3k sound system stolen. They had hit the entire block that night. Cops came out and mentioned that they hit random blocks every few months in my town. It's a sickening feeling.

If your area is a hot spot for it, you can pick up a Heimvision wifi camera system. 4 Cameras for $180 on amazon. Great quality with nightvision than can record 24/7 or be setup for motion activation.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Nest door bell. It connects together with our nest thermostat and a simple Goggle Mini or smartphone. You can have it set up with a facial learning to alert you when someone you know arrives home and the wife and I get notifications when an "unfamiliar face is at the door". Also it notifies our phone when a "package is left at the door" and again when " a package has been picked up" its pretty awesome and has a crystal clear picture even in the dark.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a ring doorbell as well, it works most of the time. We live in a townhouse though, so the walkway is very close to the street and the door is up a bit from the ground. I feel like it's more ideal with a long driveway and an isolated entrance. My wife had a PO Box in Hawaii to reduce the risk of this also. I'm actually building a camera out of a Raspberry Pi to put in front and back of our townhouse. The issue with the Ring is it only records for a minute and stops so if something happens longer than that you are out of luck. So I'll use the ring to identify the timeframe and then use the camera system I have built to find the full duration.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The problem is that in big cities cops don't pursue these petty crimes and people are let off the hook so there is no incentive no to steal.

Thank god we live in a decent neighborhood but something tells me that's about to change too.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone caught one in the act? I'm curious how you handled it.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone caught one in the act? I'm curious how you handled it.
Kinda of...there’s 3 neighborhood kids that go through peoples mailboxes. I was around the side of my house with my dog. She heard them walking but I didn’t. She chased them a few houses down and while I was chasing her, I found two envelopes for people who live at the beginning of my street. I never talked to the kids but my dog did. They don’t walk on my part of the street much anymore.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that in big cities cops don't pursue these petty crimes and people are let off the hook so there is no incentive no to steal.

Thank god we live in a decent neighborhood but something tells me that's about to change too.
Even when they do get put away, they are usually small crimes and they get back out.

We live in small town Vermont with drug issues. The young man up the street got out of jail, went on a smash and grab on our street. My wife's car was hit, nothing stolen. The cops knew who it was and not sure if he went back to jail or not.

I've known enough thieving druggie types...sometimes the time behind bars makes them better thieves.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few yrs ago I encontered 2 individuals scouting houses when they came to ours. Skeeter our old lab shepherd mix wanted nothing to do with them. Put himself between us and them. Hiar all up lips raised. In the house I had ammo all over the floor with magazines. They almost wet themselves. Skeeter backed them off the porch when I grabbed him they took off running. Never seen them around again.

Skeeter earned eggs and treats that night. (RIP)

U

User1

View Badges
Someone stole the catalytic converter out of my daughters car . Sawed it right out overnight

Had this happen to our Toyota Sequoia. Twice within 6 months. I thought I heard it the 2nd time. Anyway long story the Police officer who stopped by said it was a local gang that works North passes through Sacramento then through Elk Grove (our area) and ends up at the port of Stockton to turn in the goods and get cashed out. Recommended that we take the car to a exhaust shop and ask them to weld on a piece of rebar to the side. It will prevent them from using their modified pipe cutter. Small thing, no handle. But easy enough to place over pipe, clamp, turn, tighten, turn, repeat and it is off in 4 minutes or so.

So my daughter is working one night and gets home a bit late. Calls me to let me know she is almost home. I take our GSD out to go potty out front. I notice her ears are up and moving so know something is near. I thought it was maybe a jack rabbit. Anyway daughter pulls up and the dog starts to now raise a very low muffled growl and I know it isn't a jack rabbit. Turns out as she guides me to the Toyota there is a dark area under it. Turns out a little lad who took our previous converters was back for round three but got tripped up on the rebar I had welded on...

So now I have to think about this what do I do since he or she isn't moving to draw attention. Our shepherd is ready to go though. I have no idea if there is a real threat or just some poor lad/lass who is in a bad place and earning what they can by taking car parts. I can go in the house and arm up but feel that isn't worth it and not life and death. I do have my GSD who is out going potty as I greet my daughter at 2 am. Enough threat there to warrant the dog to take a closer look.

Bad decision on the thief as he decided to bolt. GSD saw it and the chase was on. First time ever broke through my grip on the lead and chased the poor soul for a bit to the corner whereas a pick up truck was waiting. Lad/lass dives into the back of the bed while I yelled out DOWN STAY which put the GSD at rest on the ground. Then recall back to me so she doesn't get run over.

My daughter got the plates. Officer when arrived I explained everything and he looks at me, shakes his head, and says I was still wrong for letting the dog chase. I articulated that I was taking the dog out to go potty and greet my daughter as she exited her car at 2 am. The dog saw a threat because normal people who mean no harm are not hiding under parked cars that do not belong to them...

He chuckles, smacks me on the back, pets the dog, and that was that.

IMG-20201027-WA0000.jpg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's what our legal system (definitely not a justice system) has become. Just a protector of the criminals. Maybe you should have had the cop arrested for physical battery for "smacking" you on the back. ;Facepalm ;Inpain;Hilarious

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around here it's all meth driven. Petty theft to fuel the addiction. Lots of contractor trailers raided as well as package theft. Luckily I'm in a more rural area and we haven't had issues.
Maybe Ring needs to take up that flame thrower idea - remote activation from your phone!

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do people want the converters is it to sell on eBay?
Because they are crazy expensive. Here in CA you have to have to have special state approved ones straight from the manufacturer. I just had to have mine replaced and it was $1800 just for the part!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow my gosh, the stereo or the whole vehicle I figured would be the main goal

U

User1

View Badges
Because they are crazy expensive. Here in CA you have to have to have special state approved ones straight from the manufacturer. I just had to have mine replaced and it was $1800 just for the part!

This. Also there are car manufactures converters that are actually better to take than others. For example Toyota and Dodge are very popular for ease of access. Precious metals is another reason. Not all are sold via third party or ebay but rather gutted and something internal is sold.

The rebar trick worked well though. Haven't had issues since. Well that and moving of course :D

Back