Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis!!!!!!!

LordJoshaeus

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
581
Reaction score
525
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally - FINALLY!!! - got my hands on this gem of a fish. Let me explain...I found an aquabid seller who was offering a group of these rare euryhaline rainbowfish, so I soon got in a bidding war trying to acquire them. Then, about an hour ago, the Wet Spot Tropical Fish updated their stock list - and they had them too! I ultimately canceled my bid on aquabid and ordered ten of them from the Wet Spot. Tomorrow they should email me with the shipping date...

ANYHOW! I will be starting them at relatively low salinity in a modified, cycled 5 gallon freshwater tank (with 1 tablespoon instant ocean added per gallon, likely enough to keep the pseudomugils happy without crashing the filter). I'm hoping they will breed like that, but if not I will set up a higher salinity (perhaps even full seawater strength) 10 gallon to house these magnificent rainbowfish I have coveted for so long. I will document the process on this thread...this shouldn't be very hard, as P. cyanodorsalis fry are large enough to take baby brine shrimp from birth and the species seems to be quite resilient so long as you don't try keeping them in straight freshwater. (Side note...what is the consensus on instant beneficial bacteria products for saltwater? I stumbled across one fellow who found that none of the freshwater products worked, but he did not test the saltwater products).
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone! I set the 5 gallon up today with a cycled filter and 1 tablespoon instant ocean per gallon...however, that will not be their final home. I did some research and found (from rainbow fish legend Gary Lange) that this species looks and spawns far better at a salinity of 20 ppt or higher...so I will be setting up a 10 gallon as a full strength seawater tank! I'm a little nervous about it, as I've had poor luck with saltwater setups in the past, so general setup advice would be lovely.
 
They have arrived!!!
IMG_20260929_093601572.jpg
They are juveniles, about half an inch long, and cannot be sexed yet. They went straight into the 5 gallon, plop and drop style...didn't bother them in the slightest. They are now exploring their qt tank...meanwhile I need to keep gathering supplies for their main setup.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new