PSI running through return line question

Mr Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the general PSI range our return lines handle? We all talk about head pressure but I can’t seem to find anything on the PSI. I know there are a crap-ton of variables, hence the range request, but maybe there’s a max PSI calculation based on max head pressure? Really just trying to find out if my impatient butt needs to wait hours for the pvc cement to cure or if it is only a few minutes based on the Oatey guide. 180 PSI seems high but could be localized pressure close to the return, maybe. Doubting it but maybe someone out there knows more than I. Hoping I can get it all up and running before the bowl games tonight. LoL
IMG_2962.jpeg

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PSI from your return pump should be minuscule compared to what these connection systems are designed for.

10psi is, for example, is equivalent to about a 23 foot head of water.

For a quick calculation of maximum pressure at the pump.

Max Head (in feet) x 0.43 = psi

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good enough for me!
Ahhh yes, and correct. PVC cement sets in minutes and in most environments, 10 minute set time is all one needs. With a fish tanks, I would suggest to wait 24 hr for the cement to completely set, so that one does not run the risk of any toxicity from the cement not drying hard to bleed in to a closed system.

A work around to be safe would be, one can run a bit of carbon for a day or two to filter out and bad stuff that the cement would leek in to the system if you are in a hurry. ;)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back