Puffer Beak Trimming Experience

cardiac nurse reefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
5
Location
ann arbor, mi, USA
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following advice from my local fish store (which I now know was incorrect), I had been feeding my Stars and Stripes Puffer a diet of jumbo krill, shrimp, and the occasional snail. Unfortunately, this wasn’t enough to keep his beak naturally worn down.

This past week, he stopped eating completely. I triple-checked all my water parameters and made minor adjustments, but nothing changed. After doing more extensive research, I discovered that his beak was likely overgrown, preventing him from eating properly — a result of an unbalanced diet in captivity.

When I tried to learn how to trim a puffer’s beak myself, I found that there just aren’t many helpful videos or step-by-step resources out there. So, after hours of research, I decided to document my own experience performing this procedure — not because it’s ideal, but because it became necessary.

🔧 Beak trimming is not a routine part of puffer care.
It’s something that becomes necessary when proper feeding methods have not been followed — often due to misinformation, not neglect. This video is meant to help others who may find themselves in a similar situation.

If you know someone struggling with a puffer who has stopped eating, please feel free to share this video. Not to shame them — but to educate, support, and help correct the mistake with compassion and the right tools.

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new