puffer personality

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had porcupine and stars and stripes and now have a golden. They have puffer traits and are great characters but not exactly the same. what do you mean by porcupine personality? Getting to know you? begging for food etc?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers of all species and sizes are big on personality, but there are some differences, but most are inquisitive, recognize you, and usually come to greet you and beg for food.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fresh water tank with dwarf puffers and I love them, they have so much personality, if it wasn't for them I would break it down and just continue with my saltwater addiction:)

OP
OP
ericbost23

ericbost23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....like a puppy...lol
I've had porcupine and stars and stripes and now have a golden. They have puffer traits and are great characters but not exactly the same. what do you mean by porcupine personality? Getting to know you? begging for food etc?

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all beg for food too. The prcupine used to really spit water at me if i went any where near the display, the golden splashes his tail, all really fun in their own way

OP
OP
ericbost23

ericbost23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres another question. The info i read says they need hard shelled shrimp to keep there beak filed down.what is hard shelled shrimp?

Alan600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can give them krill or clams your lfs should sell them that's what I use to feed my Valentin puffer

OP
OP
ericbost23

ericbost23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok .....my little girl's hippo tang didn't live more than a couple days. It was the size of a quarter and just wouldn't eat. She's heart broken.I'm going to try to sell her on the porcupine puffer that was playing with at the lfs.

Alan600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question I really don't know much about a porcupine puffer . Is it reef safe ? I know it it's shrimp and snails but I don't have that in my tank . Will it eat sticks or zoas ?

OP
OP
ericbost23

ericbost23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question...i to have some zoas,shrooms,and a zenia....if he wouldn't bother them i may go get him tomorrow

OP
OP
ericbost23

ericbost23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question I really don't know much about a porcupine puffer . Is it reef safe ? I know it it's shrimp and snails but I don't have that in my tank . Will it eat sticks or zoas ?
Everything. I read says no but doesn't say if it will mess with corals

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a procupine in a reef and it didnt bother the corals, it was a bit clumsy and knocked them sometimes.
He did eat all the snails etc though just a cleaner shrimp he left alone. he also ate fish. Chromis & clowns were all on the menu and i have seen a porcupine that was in with a small parrot fish and one day it was missing with no sign!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres another question. The info i read says they need hard shelled shrimp to keep there beak filed down.what is hard shelled shrimp?
I understand they will eat snails

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't eat sps, may pick at fleshy lps, and will definitely eat clams. Porcupine puffers will also rasp at rocks to keep their teeth down.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do not feed krill alone to a puffer or they WILL get lock jaw and wither away unless your really good at forcing vitamin C down there throats. Try and make them eat frozen and only give krill as treats. If all they will eat is krill then soak them in vitamin C before feeding. You should really give them vitamin C every feeding anyway. or at least every other.

OP
OP
ericbost23

ericbost23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do not feed krill alone to a puffer or they WILL get lock jaw and wither away unless your really good at forcing vitamin C down there throats. Try and make them eat frozen and only give krill as treats. If all they will eat is krill then soak them in vitamin C before feeding. You should really give them vitamin C every feeding anyway. or at least every other.
I'll remember that thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back