Pulled trigger on tank. Now what?

toy4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Pulled the trigger on a Red Sea Max-S 550. Excited to get a shipping date..

Now I’m trying to plan out what I need to do next. I plan to order live rock from TBS (or other if I find somewhere else I like) and do a mix of about 60% live rock and 40% dry rock.

I also plan to use live sand but have not decided on what kind/color…

Based on reading, the process seems much like my old days with get the sand and rock in the tank with the RO salt water and let it cycle.

Biased on this, I plane to introduce inverts and corals and then fish later on. I am in no hurry and want to do this right. I have enough new stuff I didn’t have in the previous aquarium to learn also. Filter rollers, dosing, ATO, etc. looking forward to this!

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not in a hurry, why use live rock and introduce all sorts of organisms into the new tank? Are there other benifits besides speeding up the cycle? Just curious.

OP
OP
T

toy4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what I have done before and after reading a lot of threads. Yes, the dry rock with some food to cycle.

Would you suggest live sand? Or the method of put just dry rock in only and let it cycle by itself?

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll regret springing for the live rock. I did the TBS package once years ago and it was so worth it for all the life I was able to have in my tank. Bad hitchikers were very few and pretty easy to manage. You just can't get that kind of biodiversity from dry rock.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not in a hurry, why use live rock and introduce all sorts of organisms into the new tank? Are there other benifits besides speeding up the cycle? Just curious.
Biodiversity is the biggest plus I believe. My first tank I set up I used all real live rock and pretty much had no ugly stage like I did using dry rock.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 37.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.3%
Back