Pulsing Xenia Flow

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting up a 55g based solely on Pulsing Xenia. To get the pulsing action I know you need lower flow. Do I need a powerhead? I have them, just don't want to have non-pulsing Xenia

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question.

I struggle with this is every tank I have except for my 220 gallon. So, in my 220, I have a huge colony. It gets moderate flow and low to medium light. It pulses well and looks great.

In my 5.5. They exist, barely pulse, zero growth, but no die back. They receive light flow in that tank...

My 50 Gallon low boy, I move them around to find the right 'pocket' for them (I have been at it for a couple months); still cannot quite get it right for the little guys...

My 1 gallon, well, I would rather no go there...

So all said and done. They do need good flow, but not high flow. Are you adding a sump to your 55? If so, what is the flow of your returns? You may only need a small powerhead on each end...

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great question.

I struggle with this is every tank I have except for my 220 gallon. So, in my 220, I have a huge colony. It gets moderate flow and low to medium light. It pulses well and looks great.

In my 5.5. They exist, barely pulse, zero growth, but no die back. They receive light flow in that tank...

My 50 Gallon low boy, I move them around to find the right 'pocket' for them (I have been at it for a couple months); still cannot quite get it right for the little guys...

My 1 gallon, well, I would rather no go there...

So all said and done. They do need good flow, but not high flow. Are you adding a sump to your 55? If so, what is the flow of your returns? You may only need a small powerhead on each end...

I'm not going to be getting a sump - spending the least I can on this build. I have a 70g HOB and a reef octopus 100 for filtration. But this tank is pretty much a frag tank for Xenia, but also display. That being said, if I get a lot of growth and feel the need, I'll definitely use the Xenia trade in credit for a sump. I have some spare tanks (I breed reptiles and I'm slowly switching to reef tanks haha) so that's covered in the event that I need one. The 70g HOB gave a ton of flow in the tank (used to be a planted tank) so I'll only add on powerheads if needed

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The patch I got that came in as hitchhikers on live rock pulse like crazy and grow prolifically in what I would consider to be moderate current and low to moderate light. fwiw.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 70g HOB gave a ton of flow in the tank

Perfect, I would start with that and add on if needed. However, I would be wary of the 'type' of flow it will generate. The Xenia will not like to be in the direct path of the downstream; so it might be best to put the HOB on one end and a small powerhead on the other... hmm...

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, I would start with that and add on if needed. However, I would be wary of the 'type' of flow it will generate. The Xenia will not like to be in the direct path of the downstream; so it might be best to put the HOB on one end and a small powerhead on the other... hmm...

That's what I was thinking. It produces a bit of flow so I'd imagine that they wouldn't like it. But we'll see!

Rob Rowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 full of pulsing Xenia. Med to high flow. They do very good and fair warning they multiply quickly. Also love a nutrient rich tank.

IMG_0855.JPG

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 full of pulsing Xenia. Med to high flow. They do very good and fair warning they multiply quickly. Also love a nutrient rich tank.

IMG_0855.JPG

That's a fantastic tank. Do they still pulse with higher flow? Also - do you have any more pics? I love the tank

Rob Rowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fantastic tank. Do they still pulse with higher flow? Also - do you have any more pics? I love the tank

Yes, long as your not beating them with direct flow. I run wave makers to randomize flow patterns. Here's a pick of the whole tank. I recently tore down my 120 to set up this 125. Not much more volume but extra 2ft makes a world of difference!
24b70cb51dac33bbd2790c4878436906.jpg

Back