pulsing Xenia

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using API for ammonia, please buy a different test kit or get your LFS to test it for you. API kits tend to always show ammonia, I had one show ammonia in my tap water. I switched brands after that! It's possible that you do have ammonia and .25 is definitely enough to be very harmful, but I would absolutely get your water tested by a different kit to be sure. I use Salifert but Red Sea is also a good brand.

My Xenia looked really cranky for the first few days too, it stayed closed up but never wilted over like that. How long have they been in the tank since it was moved to your house?

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using API for ammonia, please buy a different test kit or get your LFS to test it for you. API kits tend to always show ammonia, I had one show ammonia in my tap water. I switched brands after that! It's possible that you do have ammonia and .25 is definitely enough to be very harmful, but I would absolutely get your water tested by a different kit to be sure. I use Salifert but Red Sea is also a good brand.

My Xenia looked really cranky for the first few days too, it stayed closed up but never wilted over like that. How long have they been in the tank since it was moved to your house?
To be honest my LFS use API too so that's not going to help, I have a JBL test kit that I was given but never used I'll try that also later today. All the corals and fish was transported in the water for less than half hour and was placed back into the tank within the hour they don't seem to be getting better the look worse. At what point do I call it a day and remove them from the tank? If they are dead then surely that's going to start affecting my water

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of ammonia suggests a mini cycle caused by the move stirring stuff out...id suggest a water change,dose of bacteria to help with bioload and keep an eye on that ammomia.
I'll change 10% later today and I've got some bottled bacteria too add in also

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest my LFS use API too so that's not going to help, I have a JBL test kit that I was given but never used I'll try that also later today. All the corals and fish was transported in the water for less than half hour and was placed back into the tank within the hour they don't seem to be getting better the look worse. At what point do I call it a day and remove them from the tank? If they are dead then surely that's going to start affecting my water

Was the water taken from the original tank or did you mix fresh water? If it's new water it probably doesn't have enough bacteria in it. Either way I think dosing bottled bacteria will help! Definitely test it out with the other kit, a second opinion never hurts. I don't want to seem overly negative but I find it really odd that your LFS trusts API, none of the stores in my area even sell them, they do not have a good reputation. If you are sure there is really ammonia, there is a product called Prime that you can add which is supposed to neutralize it. I haven't personally used it before so I can't give much advice but it might be something to look into.

Are your fish and other corals still doing well or are they looking worse now too? I'm not sure about the effects of a dead coral on water quality, now I'm curious too. Maybe someone else can advise with that one. Xenia are supposed to start melting away when they're dead so if they are still just drooping I wouldn't give up on them just yet.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the water taken from the original tank or did you mix fresh water? If it's new water it probably doesn't have enough bacteria in it. Either way I think dosing bottled bacteria will help! Definitely test it out with the other kit, a second opinion never hurts. I don't want to seem overly negative but I find it really odd that your LFS trusts API, none of the stores in my area even sell them, they do not have a good reputation. If you are sure there is really ammonia, there is a product called Prime that you can add which is supposed to neutralize it. I haven't personally used it before so I can't give much advice but it might be something to look into.

Are your fish and other corals still doing well or are they looking worse now too? I'm not sure about the effects of a dead coral on water quality, now I'm curious too. Maybe someone else can advise with that one. Xenia are supposed to start melting away when they're dead so if they are still just drooping I wouldn't give up on them just yet.

The tank water was from the original tank I lost about 10 liters so added my own, my LFS is t the best in any regard to be honest the have a poor reputation, I will look into prime I use some of there products currently. As for my other corals and fish they are or seem to be just fine eating and showing no signs of illness. The Xenia aren't melting just looking dull and floppy

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really odd. Most people have everything else die and the xenia thrive. I don’t have much else to add. Heed the advice from everyone here. There was some excellent advice given here from very experienced people.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would recommend just leaving everything be and let the tank settle...your peramiters seem fine and so do your other corals, Pulsing Xenia is very good at sulking at the slightest changes it should come back just fine....sometimes when people move tanks or set up a new one up with a lot of new water the Xenia melts away due to lack of nutrients but as you only added a small amount of new water it should bounce back

An alk of 7 is perfectly fine and many people run it at that (myself included) and please ignore the the ammonia reading from your API kit as they are well known for giving false 0.25 and 0.50 readings

cthedaytrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only having problems with the xenia you should try and dose a little iodine/iodide Xenia generally needs iodine to be happy, yours might be low. You could get some lugols or other iodine supplement and try it out.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again all for the advice it's greatly appreciated, good news they seem to be picking up, I do still have one or two that don't look like they will make it but 80% seem to be getting better

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again all for the advice it's greatly appreciated, good news they seem to be picking up, I do still have one or two that don't look like they will make it but 80% seem to be getting better
Care to share pics of your tank currently. Always nice to see.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share pics of your tank currently. Always nice to see.
Yes of course, the Xenia in the top right is the one that I don't think will survive but the others seem to be getting better
IMG_20190517_162301.jpeg
IMG_20190517_162317.jpeg
IMG_20190517_162343.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course, the Xenia in the top right is the one that I don't think will survive but the others seem to be getting better
IMG_20190517_162301.jpeg
IMG_20190517_162317.jpeg
IMG_20190517_162343.jpeg
Xenia are the weeds of this hobby. They can survive nuclear war. I like them though and keep a few. Duncan looks good. Sand is super white, have you had a diatom bloom yet? If not, expect some brown to come for awhile.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia are the weeds of this hobby. They can survive nuclear war. I like them though and keep a few. Duncan looks good. Sand is super white, have you had a diatom bloom yet? If not, expect some brown to come for awhile.
This is my first attempt at keeping saltwater, so when I found the tank for sale I fort I'd give it a go. I'm currently in the process of getting a 1000 liter tank ready but wanted to start small just in case I didn't like or couldn't do the marine keeping, the sand I added about 2-3 days ago it's new, the stuff that came with the tank have all sorts of bad stuff in it I'm sure it had good too but really didn't want all the worms and stuff that was in there, maybe the addition of the sand has helped somewhat with the Xenia? I'm not sure but things seem to be getting better, the Duncan looks amazing and is doing really well I have two other small frag's but the bloke didn't know what they was so I'll have to wait to see how they turn out

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first attempt at keeping saltwater, so when I found the tank for sale I fort I'd give it a go. I'm currently in the process of getting a 1000 liter tank ready but wanted to start small just in case I didn't like or couldn't do the marine keeping, the sand I added about 2-3 days ago it's new, the stuff that came with the tank have all sorts of bad stuff in it I'm sure it had good too but really didn't want all the worms and stuff that was in there, maybe the addition of the sand has helped somewhat with the Xenia? I'm not sure but things seem to be getting better, the Duncan looks amazing and is doing really well I have two other small frag's but the bloke didn't know what they was so I'll have to wait to see how they turn out
Welcome to the ups and downs of reefkeeping. You’ll hit some walls and you’ll learn. Just don’t let it get you down. We’ve all been through it. Not trying to be pessimistic. The downs happen. I first got into this hobby 20 years ago. Been off and on. I’ll say now that things are so much easier than before. Especially with forums like this. People here have been so helpful to me beyond means. If you get stuck, don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Everyone is here to help you along.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the ups and downs of reefkeeping. You’ll hit some walls and you’ll learn. Just don’t let it get you down. We’ve all been through it. Not trying to be pessimistic. The downs happen. I first got into this hobby 20 years ago. Been off and on. I’ll say now that things are so much easier than before. Especially with forums like this. People here have been so helpful to me beyond means. If you get stuck, don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Everyone is here to help you along.
I'm very much looking forward to it I'm aware I'm going to have some issues along the way but I'm learning as much as possible and will do my very best to keep the issues to a minimum, I've kept cichlids for many years but fort it was about time I gave reefs a go, the help that is out there from the people with the experience is priceless and I appreciate everyone's input. I'm sure I'll be asking for help again for something. Thanks again everyone

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very much looking forward to it I'm aware I'm going to have some issues along the way but I'm learning as much as possible and will do my very best to keep the issues to a minimum, I've kept cichlids for many years but fort it was about time I gave reefs a go, the help that is out there from the people with the experience is priceless and I appreciate everyone's input. I'm sure I'll be asking for help again for something. Thanks again everyone
Good luck buddy. I’ve kept African cichlids for many years. There are challenges there as well. You’ll make it happen. Persistence!

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm glad to hear that they seem to be recovering! Xenia is one of my favorite corals, the way they move is just mesmerizing. Best of luck with your tank!

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck buddy. I’ve kept African cichlids for many years. There are challenges there as well. You’ll make it happen. Persistence!
Well my corals seem to be getting better by the day the only problem I have now is a LOT of brown hair algae I was looking at getting a blue tuxedo erchin

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back