Pulsing xenia

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My pulsing xenia is growing super big, I attached to an another rock and keeps growing .
I would like to move it to my new tank.
How can I do it safely ? I don't want to move the rock.
Cab I cut the xenia very close by the rock and glue it to the drag,?or it will damage , kill the coral?

Thank you

Tom

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My pulsing xenia is growing super big, I attached to an another rock and keeps growing .
I would like to move it to my new tank.
How can I do it safely ? I don't want to move the rock.
Cab I cut the xenia very close by the rock and glue it to the drag,?or it will damage , kill the coral?

Thank you

Tom
It's super easy to do and I will be doing some this weekend. Will try to get some video for you.

Basically, cut it off the rock with a razor blade as close to the rock as you can. There's a couple of ways to get it on a frag plug or rubble. Some people stick toothpicks through the flesh and rubber band the toothpicks to a plug/rock, others use fishing line or thin rubber bands to hold the frag down to the plug/rock. What I've been doing is putting the cut frags in a floating basket full of small rubble. After a few days, they'll attach to their favorite piece of rubble on their own. You can then glue that rock to a plug, or just leave it as a rubble frag.

They're pretty flaccid and slimy when out of the water, so supergluing directly to a plug/rock would be difficult.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back