Pump noise question

niels123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a lab, we have a tank with demiwater with a glass cooling spiral (in a condensor) connected to an Eheim CompactON 600 pump. It's running 24/7. The water tank contains a second pump (Eheim CompactON 2100) that also runs 24/7 pumps the water through an aquarium cooler that cools it down to about 46F.

The set was working perfectly for 3-4 months, but now the CompactON 600 makes a terrible rattling noise (see attached sound recording). Plugging and unplugging the power cord of the pomp a few times helps for some time, but the noise always comes back. I have exchanged the unit for a new one, but now I have the same issue again.

On the other hand, my CompactON 2100 does not have this issue. What could be the issue? What would you advice? Exchange the CompactON 600 for a different model, and which one?

Attachments

• pump_sound.mp4
    160.1 KB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In a lab, we have a tank with demiwater with a glass cooling spiral (in a condensor) connected to an Eheim CompactON 600 pump. It's running 24/7. The water tank contains a second pump (Eheim CompactON 2100) that also runs 24/7 pumps the water through an aquarium cooler that cools it down to about 46F.

The set was working perfectly for 3-4 months, but now the CompactON 600 makes a terrible rattling noise (see attached sound recording). Plugging and unplugging the power cord of the pomp a few times helps for some time, but the noise always comes back. I have exchanged the unit for a new one, but now I have the same issue again.

On the other hand, my CompactON 2100 does not have this issue. What could be the issue? What would you advice? Exchange the CompactON 600 for a different model, and which one?
Pull the impeller and check the magnet for scratching/scoring and the shaft hole for any foreign matter or snail shells within and assure the shaft rod is straight and bushing not missing

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have experience with ehiem compact but ehiem hobby pumps are pretty bulletproof. A dc pump will run quieter and cooler than an AC

OP
OP
N

niels123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the impeller and check the magnet for scratching/scoring and the shaft hole for any foreign matter or snail shells within and assure the shaft rod is straight and bushing not missing

snail shells :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
The tank has ultrapure water and nothing else. No fish, no life, no plants, just water that is far too pure for drinking because it doesn't contain any salts whatsoever.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back