Pump placement,flow question

  • Thread starter Thread starter dmh41532
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dmh41532

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2015
Messages
505
Reaction score
188
Location
Naples, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by several hobbyist that I should have a flow rate of 6000 per hour for my 65 mixed reef. it seems high to me but I purchased a new power head that my moves 3100 gph. I think the koralia evolutions I have are 800 gph. I plugged the new one in, with one koralia, and it's just too much flow. Am I placing the new pump wrong? I had it maybe 6 or 7 inches from the surface.
 
I have my wp 25 about 4 to 5 inches from the top and about 6 inches from the back. Have it pointed towards the top. Works fine, so if you don't have it pointed upward, might give it a try.
 
100 times your tank size is a bit too much. it's my understanding that 25 to 30 times your tank size is more realistic ( that includes all pumps, return, skimmer, reactor, chiller and circulating). I keep mine around 25 and get good sump turn over and water movement within the tank without being detrimental to any corals.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new