Pump, Powerheads & Temperature

johnnyphish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a 40 gal AIO nano reef. My room temp was 80F, but water temp was 83.8F. Lowered the room temp to 78F and the tank was 81F this morning before the lights came on.

Would a return pump and 2 powerheads raise the water temperature by 3-4F? My lighting feels fairly minimal ... 2 AI Prime 16HD, highest intensity is 40%-50% for the blue end, everything else is less. Ideas?

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into adding a couple of small fans, like the usb powered fan types. I use the AC infinity models on my 40g AIO. This will help to cool the surface temp and pull some of the heat being introduced by your lights. If you have an aquarium controller you can also set them to turn on off based on temp. You won't need them in the winter when your ambient temp falls into the 70's

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a heater that could be off on temperature? If not, then yes, pumps can heat things up a bit, but it depends on the type and stuff. Lights can heat things up a bit too - even LEDs.

For most of us, we have to heat our tanks so nobody even notices or cares.

What type of pumps do you have?

OP
OP
J

johnnyphish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a heater that could be off on temperature? If not, then yes, pumps can heat things up a bit, but it depends on the type and stuff. Lights can heat things up a bit too - even LEDs.

For most of us, we have to heat our tanks so nobody even notices or cares.

What type of pumps do you have?
I unplugged the heater just to make sure that wasn't the problem. Pump is a MightyJet 22W/24V 538 GP, powerheads are Hydor Koralia Nano 425 & 565.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how you could do much better. As said above, fan across the surface for some evaporative cooling is about all that you can do.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back