Pump recommendation for DIY controller

cypho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Jebao DC-12000 pumps with my DIY controller. I love being able to control the speed of the pump via a simple PWM signal. But I am looking at a 3rd pump failure in 2 years. My understanding is that the newer Jebao DCT- and DCS- pumps are not PWM controllable so updating to a newer model is not an option. And the old DC- models are just not lasting long enough. So as much as I like the functionality of these pumps, I think it is time to move on.

So does anyone have any other recommendations for a pump that can be controlled by a documented protocol.

It would be easiest if it was digital PWM since that is what my controller is already set up for, but analog 0-10V or any other signal would be fine as long as the protocol is documented (I don't want to get into reverse engineering the protocol).

OP
OP
C

cypho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning toward the Reef Octopus VarioS-8. Anyone have any experience with the VarioS pumps? It is 3x the price of the Jebao, do you think it will last at least 3x as long?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze or Sicce would have to be my answer...both have pretty full DC pump lineups. I wish I could say for certain about the details on controllability.

OP
OP
C

cypho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze or Sicce would have to be my answer...both have pretty full DC pump lineups. I wish I could say for certain about the details on controllability.

Do you have model numbers I should look at? I can't seem to find any controllable pumps by either of those brands. I see powerheads by Tunze but no pumps. And for Sicce, all I can find is a reefbuilders story about an upcoming DC model? I don't see anyone selling it yet or any details about how it works with external controllers.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce
The Sicce line was announced somewhat recently, and I don't know anything about release dates...I'd reach out to them if it's of interest.
Here's a link to the product page though: Syncra SDC & ADV Pumps

Tunze
I can't tell you much about particulars – again, maybe reach out to Tunze if this seems of interst. @rvitko runs Tunze USA and frequents the Tunze board here on R2R every day (AFAIK!), but his phone and email address are on their website.

But here is their DC model for consideration:
Recirculation pump Silence electronic
csm_1073.050_c6b259a3de.jpg
csm_-info90.94_0d6605c8e2.jpg

It appears to use a standard Tunze cable and from memory I think that's a 1-10v DC control. The manual or Tunze should be able to answer definitively.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back