Pump recommendations to pair with Vortech MP10s / Profilux in Reefer 170

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my corals continue to grow, they are encroaching on the space for my Vortech MP10s and I worry will eventually choke the circulation in the tank. I can’t move them any higher or they suck air (on the left) or run into my auto feeder (on the right). Already some of the corals that get blasted are getting a bit stunted where they take the full force. While I love the streamlined look of the MP10, I think I will shortly be in need of some additional flow, likely something with more flexibility in mounting/direction.

Any recommendations for a tank for this size?

I’ve really enjoyed the ease of configuration using the built in modes for the Vortech with my Profilux - ideally it would be something that integrates with similar ease.

IMG_1960.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just move your MP10 on to one of the sides of your tank :) That offers you some flexibility.. You can place one MP10 in either side (pointing towards each other!) and adjust the flow as you see fit.

If you want to go in a slightly different direction, or just want to add an additional wavemaker, have a look at the Reef Octopus Octo Pulse ones. Slim form factor; you can angle them slightly- and they work with your Profilux (as far as I'm aware!).

Alternatively, you can look at a small gyre. They can sit close to the surface without drawing in air.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am basically running the same set up. (IM40g/EXT) I run an MP40 instead of the 10 on the left. Same MP10 on the left. But I run a GYRE 330 on the left top. Note I am running a wideflow anemone guard on the MP40 because initially the 40 was just too much, but that is starting to change. I put on the stock cage while I cleaned the wide flow and I think it is working better now.
IMG_1157.jpeg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CasperOe - thanks for the suggestions!

@TangerineSpeedo - how do you like your gyre? Did you experiment with other positions/orientations in the tank before settling on your current configuration?
I like having the laminar flow across the top. I did have to get the IPV6 for it so I could better customize the output. The ones I have are the XF330 models. The new ones have a bit more versatility with the aiming of the output but right now I do not see a use for that application.
As far as people complaining about cleaning them, I have only needed to clean them once so far and I got these black Friday last year. Another note: I have one in my RS170 tank, which is my temperate tank. I run that one vertical in the overflow cubby. I do not have corals up top, so I like the flow circulating. Up top I do have the single output running RFG by @Vivid Creative Aquatics that I am really happy with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back