Pumping the breaks! Thinking about starting small...

squidleydidleydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been pretty dead set on getting a 90+ gallon Red Sea MAX, and the size I've been thinking about has been growing and growing, to the point where it would take me at LEAST a year to save up enough for it. I wanted to avoid going small because I know myself and I will absolutely want to upgrade at some point, and it would be much more cost-effective for me to just buy the big tank from the get-go. After a lot of thinking though, a lot of the fish that I'm really excited about are pretty small, so as long as I could keep some of them I think I would be very happy with the tank while I save up and work toward the massive dream tank.
So, I wanted to get y'all's opinion on my stocking list for a Red Sea MAX E-170 (45 gal):
- Ocellaris Clownfish pair (Amphiprion ocellaris)
- Helfrichi Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)
- Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)
- Mandarin Dragonet (Synchiropus splendidus)
- Ruby Red Dragonet (Synchiropus sycorax)
I'd be dosing pods from the start and definitely wait a while before bringing in the dragonets, but I wanted to see if this list would be possible. What do you guys think?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the dragonets might die unexpectedly, and just watch out for the two dartfish together, i have heard that sometimes they might not get along.

OP
OP
squidleydidleydoo

squidleydidleydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the dragonets might die unexpectedly, and just watch out for the two dartfish together, i have heard that sometimes they might not get along.
I've heard that about dartfish too, but I'm hoping that adding them at the same time will keep things from getting too rowdy. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on them though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back