Puppy Preparation with reef tank

ReefDude716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I will be brining home a yorkshire terrier puppy next month. I have a 30 gallon long tank in a corner with the sump behind it. I have a 5 gallon water reservoir next to it on the right. On the left side of the tank I have a neptune trident on the ground. I have just enough space for me to sneak to the side to have access to the sump. I have the neptune power power on the right side of tank on ground. I do not have enough room in the cabinet to store these inside because I have a 8 power channel strip in top with all the controllers and dosers. on the bottom i have my trident waste container with all my dosing containers and the large battery backup.

My question is should I consider putting a small gate around everything. Or should I just spray any exposed cords with apple bitter or vinegar. Does anyone know if apple bitter spray is safe around the tank.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vinegar based ones are safer than the alcohol ones I imagine. Kinda hard to picture the setup but do you best to keep cords of the floor for the time being. I never had an issue with my dogs besides furniture.

OP
OP
ReefDude716

ReefDude716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vinegar based ones are safer than the alcohol ones I imagine. Kinda hard to picture the setup but do you best to keep cords of the floor for the time being. I never had an issue with my dogs besides furniture.
Thank you ! I just wanted to see if anyone used the apple bitter by the tank and if they had any problems. I was figuring i would have to go vinegar route cause its safe.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a gate over the spray, not necessarily for the tank but I haven't found sprays useful in the past. Although I haven't found gates either they wiggle their way under/around/or sometimes over.

1614783443368.png

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cage off anything the puppy would chew. Or leave them exposed at your own discretion. They often ignore sprays or the sprays wear off so fast they're not worth using. Vinegar sprays will work for all of five minutes if its on something the puppy wants to chew.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each dog is different. Sprays had no effect on my dog in terms of chewing. Nothing was safe shoes, baseboards, shelves, doors, chairs, tables... I've probably forgotten more.

Fortunately that phase stopped however she still eats crazy things like socks, garbage, toilet paper, etc.

The Kong toys help as do the Lickimats.

I say fence off/don't allow the dog in the room with the aquarium.

On the plus side, whenever my wife complains that my aquarium costs to much, I just start listing the things the dog has destroyed in the last month or two.... And she thought the reef tank was expensive!

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a gate too. I have tried bitter apple, vinegar and cayenne peeper on every puppy I have had. These little suckers will get into anything and I believe the only deterrent is a physical boundary.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I will be brining home a yorkshire terrier puppy next month. I have a 30 gallon long tank in a corner with the sump behind it. I have a 5 gallon water reservoir next to it on the right. On the left side of the tank I have a neptune trident on the ground. I have just enough space for me to sneak to the side to have access to the sump. I have the neptune power power on the right side of tank on ground. I do not have enough room in the cabinet to store these inside because I have a 8 power channel strip in top with all the controllers and dosers. on the bottom i have my trident waste container with all my dosing containers and the large battery backup.

My question is should I consider putting a small gate around everything. Or should I just spray any exposed cords with apple bitter or vinegar. Does anyone know if apple bitter spray is safe around the tank.
My 1 year old French Bulldog (female) is not deterred by any spray...seriously, none. I'd put up a gate, or build/buy cabinetry to house the pieces. Only experience is with my little demon dog, that I can't seem to stay mad at.

IMG_8321.jpeg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fence/Gate. No questions. If you pup wants to chew something it will no matter what it smells or tastes like.

The good news is that this only lasts about 2 years and after that you can remove whatever is inconvenient.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes the best deterrents are just being diligent......never leave them alone in a room. You have to watch them.

Even if just a few minutes when you are doing something like taking a shower, crate him/her.

You do have a crate right?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found just lots of toys (definitely chew toys), positive reinforcement, crate training, and obedience to work nicely to keep pups out of your stuff.

I haven’t found any of that to work with bengal kittens though lol and they can destroy everything from the ground to ceiling and not just knee high like a pup!

C9F5923C-20DF-4D9D-A5A6-722947C70F7B.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back