Purchase Orphek lights through BRS or direct?

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you do decide to go with Orphek, I'd suggest go direct especially if they have it for $200 less. They are pretty good at providing support. That said, I probably would not go with Orphek if I were to do it over again.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you do decide to go with Orphek, I'd suggest go direct especially if they have it for $200 less. They are pretty good at providing support. That said, I probably would not go with Orphek if I were to do it over again.

What issues did you have with the Orpheks?

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the V4 version 1. Multiple LED diodes burnt out and I had to solder replacements in. Orphek shipped the replacements free of charge. But having them burn out wasn't cool. If I didn't inspect it, I'd never knew.
Also still having issues with the app which hasn't been updated for ages. My light would revert back to initial settings on its own every couple days from my custom program/settings. It's annoying and never heard back from orphek on this issue.
Lastly, while having all the colors including the reds and infar-reds was what sold me on the orphek. Now I don't think the red spectrums are really necessary.
Measuring the blue channel only with a par meter, the output is only slightly higher than a Chinese box's blue channel.
Sure, it's a cool fancy looking fixture with wifi capabilities, looking back, I was getting great growth on my sps & LPS with the Chinese boxs that were a lot cheaper.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you purchase these lights?
Not the Atlantiks. I have 2 of there OR2 blue plus bars , I bought direct from Orphek and it was so easy. I’ll be ordering 5 Atlantik eventually

15628A4F-61C8-4D5B-B0DD-784D9A89A0BA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the V4 version 1. Multiple LED diodes burnt out and I had to solder replacements in. Orphek shipped the replacements free of charge. But having them burn out wasn't cool. If I didn't inspect it, I'd never knew.
Also still having issues with the app which hasn't been updated for ages. My light would revert back to initial settings on its own every couple days from my custom program/settings. It's annoying and never heard back from orphek on this issue.
Lastly, while having all the colors including the reds and infar-reds was what sold me on the orphek. Now I don't think the red spectrums are really necessary.
Measuring the blue channel only with a par meter, the output is only slightly higher than a Chinese box's blue channel.
Sure, it's a cool fancy looking fixture with wifi capabilities, looking back, I was getting great growth on my sps & LPS with the Chinese boxs that were a lot cheaper.

Do you think these issues were resolved with the gen 2? You purchased the first generation model and it seems there are always issues with first generation products.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, I have an Atlantik Gen 1 V4 and it has been running great, never forgets its settings, and the diodes look great after a few months. The spread has been very good and the PAR seems solid (measured with PAR meter was like 400 in middle and dropped to 200 when at edges of tank). Honestly getting connectivity was a challenge once or twice but overall the app and so on has been great. Keep in mind that the mighty Ecotech reeflink probably goes down as often as the atlantik link (or more).

That being said, my Orphek is over the frag tank and I run T5 +LED bars over the DT and there is an acclimation period for frags when I cut them from the main tank and put them in the frag tank as they get used to the different light. I am not a fan of that phase since I want to sell the frags, not hold onto them for a long time, so I am going back to T5 over the frag tank too (though the Orphek looked sweet). Anyhow. Want to buy an Atlantik V4?

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, I have an Atlantik Gen 1 V4 and it has been running great, never forgets its settings, and the diodes look great after a few months. The spread has been very good and the PAR seems solid (measured with PAR meter was like 400 in middle and dropped to 200 when at edges of tank). Honestly getting connectivity was a challenge once or twice but overall the app and so on has been great. Keep in mind that the mighty Ecotech reeflink probably goes down as often as the atlantik link (or more).

That being said, my Orphek is over the frag tank and I run T5 +LED bars over the DT and there is an acclimation period for frags when I cut them from the main tank and put them in the frag tank as they get used to the different light. I am not a fan of that phase since I want to sell the frags, not hold onto them for a long time, so I am going back to T5 over the frag tank too (though the Orphek looked sweet). Anyhow. Want to buy an Atlantik V4?

Which specific lights are you running above your DT?

GugsJr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Full Size Atlantik V2s, and 2 Compact Atlantik V2s, plus 7 OR Bars total ( I have a few tanks..lol)

I would highly recommend them and wouldn't go any other route with lights. I had Radions XR30W G4 Pros before the Orpheks.

The only draw back through ordering direct is the time it takes you to get them after you place an order. If you want them in 2 to 3 days then you go through BRS.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Full Size Atlantik V2s, and 2 Compact Atlantik V2s, plus 7 OR Bars total ( I have a few tanks..lol)

I would highly recommend them and wouldn't go any other route with lights. I had Radions XR30W G4 Pros before the Orpheks.

The only draw back through ordering direct is the time it takes you to get them after you place an order. If you want them in 2 to 3 days then you go through BRS.

Have you used T5s before or only LEDs?

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this discussion centers around the Atlantik, but I bought a 120 bar direct from Orphek and was so pleased I decided to share my experience.
I purchased the 120 on Aug. 20. After two weeks had elapsed with no word from them, I emailed and was told the 48" UV was made to order and that it generally took about two weeks, plus another week for intensive testing.
True to their word, I received a tracking number last Wednesday, with the light arriving from Hong Kong, via FedEx Express (at their expense), this morning. Upon opening I could not be more pleased! It got here virtually unscathed and is a truly impressive led. They were friendly and professional throughout the entire process and I'll definitely be doing business with Orphek again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back