Purigen is all over my display tank. Help!!!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not having a good day. I got a new filter bag of purigen for my 12g nano and put it in the sump area. Well, next thing I know purigen is everywhere! The top of the bag wasn't totally sealed and now it's floating in the DT area. Sigh. Should I just let the filter pick it up? Could it harm my fish or shrimp if they try to eat it? I'm having a terrible tank day.

Bradsreeeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no how you feel with bad day yesterday lost my 5 head torch and 1 head frogspawn.. I would just do water changes you should be ok

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no how you feel with bad day yesterday lost my 5 head torch and 1 head frogspawn.. I would just do water changes you should be ok

Oh no! Sorry about your corals! I also managed to short out the dimmer switch on my LEDs. Sigh.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope that fish will leave it alone. The particles are so small you probaly need to do a water change and try to suck out as much as you can. I would also contact Seachem on this issue. Might want to run some type of filter floss to help catch it.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope that fish will leave it alone. The particles are so small you probaly need to do a water change and try to suck out as much as you can. I would also contact Seachem on this issue. Might want to run some type of filter floss to help catch it.

I have sponges so if I stir it up the filter will grab it.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen, while not exactly edible, is nontoxic. If a fish eats a little it's not harmful (one of my FW friends had that happen and called Seachem to be sure).

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a better tank day. Purigen isn't floating everywhere and it doesn't look like the fish or shrimp are any worse for wear. The filter is picking it up. All I can say is those little pesky beads better wipe out my nitrates or else.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back