Purigen Lifespan?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how long Purigen lasts in your tanks, I've had mine for about 2 months and it is a light brown color. It doesn't seem dark enough to be exhausted.

daniel0123456789

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the first 2 months? my first run lasted 3 months. The second one lasted like 5 moths. and then I stopped using it all together. It was very active and useful while my tank was developing enough bacteria. Then I remember I bought marine pure balls and removed it because I no longer needed and I prefered a natural solution to nitrates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there is any good info around on how long it is useful. Color isn’t necessarily a useful indication. as bacteria grow on it, it may continue to darken beyond the point where it is removing organisms from the water.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The awesome thing about Purigen is that it can be regenerated:

“Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard, Prime, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well.”

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 500ml of Purigen in a HOB filter in my sump for a few months... It never really got very dark. However when I had Purigen in a freshwater dirted tank with lots of plants, it got super duper dark relatively quickly, this was the 100ml bag in a Spec III Fluval tank.

I'm now kind of in your shoes... I have a bunch of purigen but I am not sure the best way to use it...
I ended up taking the purigen out of the HOB filter in my sump and now its just sitting in a bucket (wet, in a ziploc bag).
I think the "passive flow" situation I had was not working well (with the purigen just in a petsmart mesh filter bag sitting in the HOB).

I think I need to use purigen in a reactor to get the most out of it... where the flow is forced *around the material and it can tumble somewhat.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 500ml of Purigen in a HOB filter in my sump for a few months... It never really got very dark. However when I had Purigen in a freshwater dirted tank with lots of plants, it got super duper dark relatively quickly, this was the 100ml bag in a Spec III Fluval tank.

I'm now kind of in your shoes... I have a bunch of purigen but I am not sure the best way to use it...
I ended up taking the purigen out of the HOB filter in my sump and now its just sitting in a bucket (wet, in a ziploc bag).
I think the "passive flow" situation I had was not working well (with the purigen just in a petsmart mesh filter bag sitting in the HOB).

I think I need to use purigen in a reactor to get the most out of it... where the flow is forced *around the material and it can tumble somewhat.
I was also thinking about using it or bio balls in a reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd replace purigen every 1-2 months, like GAC.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which material is recomemended? Is matrix fine?

I tried matrix one time inside a slow flowing reactor, but I could not get any denitrifying bacteria to kick in, but I was not carbon dosing for fuel either.

(lol)
Hard to beat some deep pore live rock.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which material is recomemended? Is matrix fine?

I tried matrix before BRS did the marine pur test, but they came to the same conclusion.

Ryan stopped all future test, with the Marine Pure media, because it was leaching aluminum

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back