Purple and yellow tang

JSmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 125 gallon mixed reef with plans to upgrade in the next year. My fish stock is currently:
1-Filefish
2-Chromis
1-Lyretail Anthea
1-Hippo Tang
1-Sailfin Tang
2-Bangaii Cardinal
1-Clarkaii Clownfish

I'd like to add a purple and yellow tang, is it possible or am i asking for too much trouble? Could it be done with acclimation boxes and/or mirrors? Thanks in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have a 125 gallon mixed reef with plans to upgrade in the next year. My fish stock is currently:
1-Filefish
2-Chromis
1-Lyretail Anthea
1-Hippo Tang
1-Sailfin Tang
2-Bangaii Cardinal
1-Clarkaii Clownfish

I'd like to add a purple and yellow tang, is it possible or am i asking for too much trouble? Could it be done with acclimation boxes and/or mirrors? Thanks in advance
Manage water quality and diet and you’re fine. Provide adequate hiding and expect occasional squabbling from mainly sailfin tang
What foods are you currently feeding?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally fine, Id recommend getting them at the same time and make sure they are different sizes, and both smaller than the sailfin so its clear who's in charge. Purples tend to be the jerks so id say get the smallest one of those.

OP
OP
JSmith

JSmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally fine, Id recommend getting them at the same time and make sure they are different sizes so its clear who's in charge. Purples tend to be the jerks so a larger yellow is probably best.
I'm currently feeding a mixture of pellets and Rod's Herbivore blend each day and nori a few times a week.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin may hammer the yellow and purple, depending on size and personality. Might be fine.

It's possible that the 3 would get along better than 2 would.

Sailfin will likely outgrow a 125 eventually.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang, purple and several others in my S650 and no issues at all but of course it depends on the individual fishes

Maybe add them at the same time and that might help

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sailfin, purple, naso, and yellow in the same tank. Purple was the dominant one but not too aggressive. Funny thing though is the yellow was in first. Put the purple in second when it was quite a bit smaller than the yellow. The yellow stopped growing and the purple ended up twice the size of the yellow. Don't know if it was a dominance thing or what. All got plenty of food and were fat and healthy.

OP
OP
JSmith

JSmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I do plan on adding both at the same time and will watch them closely. I do have a biocube to temporarily rehome them to if needed.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back