Purple Firefish Companions

William Morris

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2017
Messages
364
Reaction score
173
Location
Benicia, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeking advice for companion's for a Purple Firefish.
The only fish in my 32gal Biocube now.
Had a couple of clowns but they were to aggressive and I took them out.
Thanks
 
Yellow assessor, pink streak wrasse, swales basslet, yellow head jawfish, watchman goby, clown goby, blue gudgeon gobies, neon goby, wetmorella wrasse, are a few suggestions.
 
Assessors, possum wrasse, rainford/hector goby, Randalls or hifin goby
 
Bengai cardinals should be comparable. A fairy basslet would be good. Any chromis should work. I would think that most blennies and gobies would be good.
 
All good suggestions above! I really like the looks of the basslets. Royal Grammas are great but I really like Black Cap Basslets even better.
 
Can you really trust basselets to not be aggresive?
Years ago, I watched a purple dottyback slice a peppermint shrimp in half (after molting) whose body was the same diameter as the dottyback. Couldn't believe the little dottyback could do that kind of damage with just 2 bites and such a small mouth.
 
Can you really trust basselets to not be aggresive?
Years ago, I watched a purple dottyback slice a peppermint shrimp in half (after molting) whose body was the same diameter as the dottyback. Couldn't believe the little dottyback could do that kind of damage with just 2 bites and such a small mouth.
Depends on the basslet. Basslet is a pretty wide category. Some, such as small Liopropoma species or royal grammas, chalk bass, the fairy basslets(anthias), are all excellent tankmates.

Other basslets, such as the size appropriate but too aggressive dottybacks, or larger, predatory basslets are not good tankmates.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new