Purple Firefish Goby Quarantine?

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have been researching the Purple Firefish goby and I am very interested to put one i my tank. I have heard they can't contract a disease or they are very hard to get sick. Would I still need to quarantine it? I am also very interested in getting a Coral Beauty Angelfish. With them I heard they are very easy to contract a disease and need a UV sterilizer. Is that true and how much are they? Thanks!

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I feel disease, QT, etc. is very tricky. Since there are so many factors.
Firefish are very hardy. BUT. ALL fish can get disease. Whether or not it is ich is another thing. Gobies get bacterial infections/diseases as well as internal parasites for the most part (if they succumb to something it is usually those).
Angelfish often get a variety of diseases too.
Disease is something that may not even be avoided even if you QT. That's just the reality.
BUT. You can do a lot to make sure fish can avoid disease.
I do not know too much about UV's, but I believe they will remove parasites/bacterias. But fish can still get disease with or without them.

I added a Purple Firefish to my 32 Gallon without QT well over a year ago, and he is still doing great. But I found a VERY healthy one. Make sure the fish is healthy. But also be prepared.
Get products such as Dr. Tim's first defense. It helps the fish immune system, and provides a lot of benefits for stressed fish.
Also I HIGHLY RECOMMEND dipping your fish if you do not QT.
Safety stop is a good choice.
But I would instead buy a bottle of Methylene Blue!! (By Kordon)
This stuff is a catch all. It helps with pretty much everything.
It is a 10 second dip. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE DIRECTIONS.

Just try and limit the stress for your fish as much as possible, and you should be ok. Make sure water quality is good too.

How big is your tank though?
More fish you add more chance of getting parasites (especially without QT and if you do not take precautions such as dipping and stress prevention).

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have been researching the Purple Firefish goby and I am very interested to put one i my tank. I have heard they can't contract a disease or they are very hard to get sick. Would I still need to quarantine it? I am also very interested in getting a Coral Beauty Angelfish. With them I heard they are very easy to contract a disease and need a UV sterilizer. Is that true and how much are they? Thanks!
I disagree with both of these presumptions. Neither gobies nor angelfish have any extraordinary resilience (or susceptibility) to common aquarium disease or parasitic infections. Quarantine has been shown to be a proven, reliable method of disease prevention countless times, but it must be done correctly. A UV sterilizer may or may not provide some assistance in controlling some parasitic infections. Other methods (ie., not quarantining) just can't be replicated consistently in new tanks. If you have a tank less than five years old, and don't quarantine incoming livestock, there's a very good chance that you're going to bring in something that wipes out all your fish.

I agree that methylene blue provides an excellent dip that assists with fish respiration. Therapeutic use for disease cure is less certain.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with both of these presumptions. Neither gobies nor angelfish have any extraordinary resilience (or susceptibility) to common aquarium disease or parasitic infections. Quarantine has been shown to be a proven, reliable method of disease prevention countless times, but it must be done correctly. A UV sterilizer may or may not provide some assistance in controlling some parasitic infections. Other methods (ie., not quarantining) just can't be replicated consistently in new tanks. If you have a tank less than five years old, and don't quarantine incoming livestock, there's a very good chance that you're going to bring in something that wipes out all your fish.

I agree that methylene blue provides an excellent dip that assists with fish respiration. Therapeutic use for disease cure is less certain.
Yes, You are very right. Nothing really matches good QT. I am not the best at it. I strangely have had more luck moving fish that have become sick (sometimes VERY serious) to my QT than bringing in new fish for preventative treatment.
But anyways. I agree with you completely. Doing it right is super important and water quality is a very important element in good QT.

I like Methylene blue because it can be a preventative, as well as help with fish that have broken out with a bacterial/fungal issue.
It also helps with poisoning (Ammonia or even Cyanide).
The main thing I've noticed with Gobys, Blennys, and Dragonetts is that they often are skinny and stay skinny despite large amounts of food, vitamins, etc. and don't seem to have internal parasites.
This is purely anecdotal, but I am willing to bet it has to be poisoning related. Whether it is from too much copper from distributors/wholesalers, ammonia poisoning when in transit, or how some fish are caught with Cyanide.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I didn't QT anything, then like others have said, something I introduced killed 75% of the tank over the course of a weekend. At the time I had 5 purple firefish. Four survived the initial two day onslaught, but one died. Then two more died during the couple days it took me to purchase and setup a QT tank.

The remaining two went into my newly created QT and were doing fine until one started bullying the other after a couple months, and the victim died. Eventually, after the fallow period and after I introduced everything else, the remaining firefish went back in the tank and has been a good citizen.

But immune from disease, um, no way.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I feel disease, QT, etc. is very tricky. Since there are so many factors.
Firefish are very hardy. BUT. ALL fish can get disease. Whether or not it is ich is another thing. Gobies get bacterial infections/diseases as well as internal parasites for the most part (if they succumb to something it is usually those).
Angelfish often get a variety of diseases too.
Disease is something that may not even be avoided even if you QT. That's just the reality.
BUT. You can do a lot to make sure fish can avoid disease.
I do not know too much about UV's, but I believe they will remove parasites/bacterias. But fish can still get disease with or without them.

I added a Purple Firefish to my 32 Gallon without QT well over a year ago, and he is still doing great. But I found a VERY healthy one. Make sure the fish is healthy. But also be prepared.
Get products such as Dr. Tim's first defense. It helps the fish immune system, and provides a lot of benefits for stressed fish.
Also I HIGHLY RECOMMEND dipping your fish if you do not QT.
Safety stop is a good choice.
But I would instead buy a bottle of Methylene Blue!! (By Kordon)
This stuff is a catch all. It helps with pretty much everything.
It is a 10 second dip. MAKE SURE YOU READ THE DIRECTIONS.

Just try and limit the stress for your fish as much as possible, and you should be ok. Make sure water quality is good too.

How big is your tank though?
More fish you add more chance of getting parasites (especially without QT and if you do not take precautions such as dipping and stress prevention).
Thank you! I have a 40 breeder but I am still in the process of setting it up. I Am keeping 2 clownfish in my 10g qt tank until I set the other tank up.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I didn't QT anything, then like others have said, something I introduced killed 75% of the tank over the course of a weekend. At the time I had 5 purple firefish. Four survived the initial two day onslaught, but one died. Then two more died during the couple days it took me to purchase and setup a QT tank.

The remaining two went into my newly created QT and were doing fine until one started bullying the other after a couple months, and the victim died. Eventually, after the fallow period and after I introduced everything else, the remaining firefish went back in the tank and has been a good citizen.

But immune from disease, um, no way.
Thank you! I didn't know that you could keep multiple purple firefish together, I thought they were agressive to their own species and should be kept alone.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, You are very right. Nothing really matches good QT. I am not the best at it. I strangely have had more luck moving fish that have become sick (sometimes VERY serious) to my QT than bringing in new fish for preventative treatment.
But anyways. I agree with you completely. Doing it right is super important and water quality is a very important element in good QT.

I like Methylene blue because it can be a preventative, as well as help with fish that have broken out with a bacterial/fungal issue.
It also helps with poisoning (Ammonia or even Cyanide).
The main thing I've noticed with Gobys, Blennys, and Dragonetts is that they often are skinny and stay skinny despite large amounts of food, vitamins, etc. and don't seem to have internal parasites.
This is purely anecdotal, but I am willing to bet it has to be poisoning related. Whether it is from too much copper from distributors/wholesalers, ammonia poisoning when in transit, or how some fish are caught with Cyanide.
thank you!

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I didn't know that you could keep multiple purple firefish together, I thought they were agressive to their own species and should be kept alone.

Well... I think I was just lucky for awhile. They did school nicely in a little group, hid in a cave in the rocks together at night, etc. But after the one killed off the other in QT, I went back and re-read everything I could find on them, and came to the conclusion that they should not be kept in a group. I'm a little annoyed at the LFS that said it was fine. So my sole-surviving purple will not be getting any roommates I think it was only a matter of time. ;)

Maybe reds are ok? I'm not sure because my wife wanted purple and they were sort of an impulse buy because they were on sale one day.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, they can get sick, QT all your fish. They do not need a UV sterilizer, no fish really needs one.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I think I was just lucky for awhile. They did school nicely in a little group, hid in a cave in the rocks together at night, etc. But after the one killed off the other in QT, I went back and re-read everything I could find on them, and came to the conclusion that they should not be kept in a group. I'm a little annoyed at the LFS that said it was fine. So my sole-surviving purple will not be getting any roommates I think it was only a matter of time. ;)

Maybe reds are ok? I'm not sure because my wife wanted purple and they were sort of an impulse buy because they were on sale one day.
Yeah, I would not risk multiple firefish. I've heard they often tolerate each other initially, but get territorial when they mature. Maybe 2 can work out, but I wouldn't do it unless the tank is big. Firefish are weird since they are very peaceful, but not really to each other in the long run. I think the best way to have a group would be to have a large tank with plenty of rock, and maybe get like 7-10 at least to make sure they split up the aggression.

BUT I would instead recommend Zebra or Scissortail Dartfish. They actually do better in groups!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would not risk multiple firefish. I've heard they often tolerate each other initially, but get territorial when they mature. Maybe 2 can work out, but I wouldn't do it unless the tank is big. Firefish are weird since they are very peaceful, but not really to each other in the long run. I think the best way to have a group would be to have a large tank with plenty of rock, and maybe get like 7-10 at least to make sure they split up the aggression.

BUT I would instead recommend Zebra or Scissortail Dartfish. They actually do better in groups!
Magnifica can form groups with other magnifica (the red ones), purples can be a mated pair but will be agressive towards other firefish.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica can form groups with other magnifica (the red ones), purples can be a mated pair but will be agressive towards other firefish.
Yup, that's true! It's just hard to get a pair.
And yeah, I've heard mixed things about whether or not purple and red ones will fight. I think if they both have their own territories in at least a 40 gallon tank then they should be ok (but who knows, every fish is different).

Chalk Basslets are also a good option for cool fish that do well in groups, I got 2 and I regret not getting more since they are super cool. Never bother my Purple Firefish at all.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yeah, I've heard mixed things about whether or not purple and red ones will fight. I think if they both have their own territories in at least a 40 gallon tank then they should be ok (but who knows, every fish is different).

Chalk Basslets are also a good option for cool fish that do well in groups, I got 2 and I regret not getting more since they are super cool. Never bother my Purple Firefish at all.
firefish are pretty agro so idk, Chalks and Fires will likely not fight, firefish are only agro to other firefish

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
firsfish are one of the fish I do not qt and they are not resistant to disease but Resilient to disease and fare well in new and establsihed tanks. I have a trio and have often had trios.
They hide often but be assured when food hits the tank - they will not be hiding.
They are known jumpers and also sneak into the sump via overflow

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them both in my tank the coral beauty is a little territorial but the 2 purple firefish I have are like lightning back to their little hole where they live am not sure if they're male of female but they've been living together since I got them about 2 months ago now
Videoframe_20220129_182844_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firsfish are one of the fish I do not qt and they are not resistant to disease but Resilient to disease and fare well in new and establsihed tanks. I have a trio and have often had trios.
They hide often but be assured when food hits the tank - they will not be hiding.
They are known jumpers and also sneak into the sump via overflow
I know this is old but I have a Helfrichi that’s been in QT for 2.5 weeks no medicine and no signs. Would you think I’m good to safety stop dip her and pop her in my DT?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back