Floors

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone can answer this for me, putting in new floors and they are considered floating which mean not glued down so they can expand and contract as they need due to climate factors I guess. Getting ready to set up a 150 and wondering about the weight because it seems that that much weight won’t allow the floor to expand or contract like it needs to . It’s the luxury vinyl plank. I’m sure I’m not the first person to put something this heavy on a floating floor so wondering how it does. Thanks

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a BRS video where Ryan was setting up his sump in a dedicated “fish room”. I believe he decided to use LVT. Here is the video that might address your questions?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 60s a 150 and a 360 gallon on LVP with no issues

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone can answer this for me, putting in new floors and they are considered floating which mean not glued down so they can expand and contract as they need due to climate factors I guess. Getting ready to set up a 150 and wondering about the weight because it seems that that much weight won’t allow the floor to expand or contract like it needs to . It’s the luxury vinyl plank. I’m sure I’m not the first person to put something this heavy on a floating floor so wondering how it does. Thanks
luxury vinyl plank.
You wont get too much expansion with these...(versus all wood planks)..its usually the subfloor that cause's expansion (if glued).

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only issue is Shaw the floor people said they won’t warranty the floor under something g that heavy if it’s not glued down which we aren’t gluing so I think I’m gonna put the tank directly on the concrete slab and put the floor around the tank. I’ll put a moisture barrier under the tank so moisture from the concrete won’t mess the stand up. I’m pretty sure the tank directly on the concrete will be fine and don’t have to worry about warranty issues down the road.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only issue is Shaw the floor people said they won’t warranty the floor under something g that heavy if it’s not glued down which we aren’t gluing so I think I’m gonna put the tank directly on the concrete slab and put the floor around the tank. I’ll put a moisture barrier under the tank so moisture from the concrete won’t mess the stand up. I’m pretty sure the tank directly on the concrete will be fine and don’t have to worry about warranty issues down the road.
yeah....you could do that, make sure that they give you and save the planks for future....

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah....you could do that, make sure that they give you and save the planks for future....
Yep so if I ever move I can fill in that open area but yeah don’t want to run the risk of them not covering the warranty because they say the heavy fish tank is what is causing the problem. This way I can say well the tank isn’t on the floor . Saves me just in case and I don’t see putting it directly on the concrete subfloor being a problem.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might say want to leave a 1/4" gap between the floor and tank, so you might have to get some 1/4" trim for the tank stand

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that’s the plan yes they need to treat the bottom of the stand like a wall with is the 1/4 inch spacing yep. I should be totally fine putting it on concrete right, like I said gonna put a small piece of moisture barrier under to be safe from concrete moisture

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back