Purple Firefish Goby - Swollen abdomen

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2017
Messages
65
Reaction score
104
Location
Madison, Wisconsin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Purple Firefish Goby became sick and died very quickly (within a few days). I rarely saw him (or her), as he liked to hide in the rocks. I found him on the bottom tonight, and upon inspection, noticed his side was very swollen and discolored. See the picture below, please. Healthy tank (so far) and all parameters are within normal ranges. Mixed reef environment.
I don't believe he was bullied. All other fish appear healthy and are eating and active. Any thought on what killed my friend, Mr. Goby?
Goby.jpg
 
Looks more like rigor mortis than any ailment — IE how land animals decompose and get “fatter” due to gas buildup upon dying until they “burst” then they shrivel up and dry out. A gross topic, sorry.

I don’t know the science behind it but that’s what this looks like to me.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.
He wasn't dead when I found him. He was still breathing at the bottom and upside down.
He died shortly after I noticed him.
 
His abdomen looks a bit swollen, but I'm not sure if that discoloration is a bruise or as mentioned above, rigor mortis. You'd have to perform a necropsy and examine his innards to know.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new