Purple/gray stuff on sand.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Torresj9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Torresj9

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2016
Messages
112
Reaction score
25
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I been noting this purple/grayish coming out from live sand. I don't know what it is and I tried looking it up and no luck! Anyone know what this is?? Is it good or bad??
Thank you.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459972354.885193.jpg
 
It looks like Cyanobacteria to me as well, but an accumulation of detritus or dust from the sand is another possibility too though. For a quick fix just siphon it out and rinse the sand thoroughly. You can either put this back in the tank or toss it. The link below might help.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!! So I should it let be and do maintaince like normal?
And yeah sorry forgot to say my tank has been up for month and half
 
It looks like Cyanobacteria to me as well, but an accumulation of detritus or dust from the sand is another possibility as well. For a quick fix just siphon it out and rinse the sand thoroughly. You can either put this back in the tank or toss it. The link below might help.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide
Okay thanks for the tip. And okay when I do my water change I'll siphon it out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new