Purple lobster is orange now????

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a purple lobster about 2-3 months ago and I’ve only seen it out and about 3 times (including tonight) since we got it. Earlier I was doing a water change/cleaning and I had all the lights off so I didn’t stress out my fish. After I was looking at the back of my tank to check on my blue tang since it was hiding and when I turned the light on to see better I scared tf out of my lobster and nearly fell over backwards from it scaring me

**Anyways, it used to be purple and yellow with spots and now it’s bright orange with orange-pink stripes?? Has anyone had experience with this? Is this normal?

We got it because the purple was so gorgeous and it reminded us of the Lakers assuming it would stay that way. Mind you we never see it ‍

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but how hot is the tank water?

I've only seen them change color after a boiling water bath. Great with butter.

Curious to hear what others have experienced with the living ones. ;)

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76*

Lol same. It’s gotten a lot bigger since we bought it, maybe it just grew out of its colours? Idk

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76*

Lol same. It’s gotten a lot bigger since we bought it, maybe it just grew out of its colours? Idk
Honestly, crustacean colors are not my forte. I don't know if they get coloration from their diet, light exposure, or if they can manipulate the shell to be like camouflage? I do know what I'd do if it got about 3/4lb. :) Mmmm, with butter!

abbypoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their colors can range from a mix of purple to red and orange. Color can also change due to molting. So, if it has recently molted, the colors may be much more vibrant for a little while, slowly fading until the next molt.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back