Purple or Yellow tang? I need help deciding.

Purple tang or Yellow tang

• Purple tang

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Yellow tang

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

tjtax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help deciding on whether to get a Purple or Yellow tang. I have a 40 gallon AIO. I want to get one while they are smaller to let them grow. When they get too big for my current tank I want to use that as my excuse to get a larger tank. Please don’t tell my wife that this is my master plan to get a larger system in the future.

Lahey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not part of the tang police, but 40g will be a bit small for a full-grown purple or yellow tang. If you started out with a captive bred one, you'd have more time before they outgrew the tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow, for sure.
My single best rock cleaning fish ever.
Is not overly tang aggressive, good with other tangs (not similar) and general fish population.
Not a ton of yellows in reef stuff so great contrasts.
Not cheap.
IMG_1937.jpeg

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put a tang in a 40. They like to graze and move. If you do upgrade your tank, you would need to get at least a 75 for a yellow, and at least a 125 for a purple, just letting you know if you do get one, also purples can be very aggressive, and yellows are very very expensive.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help deciding on whether to get a Purple or Yellow tang. I have a 40 gallon AIO. I want to get one while they are smaller to let them grow. When they get too big for my current tank I want to use that as my excuse to get a larger tank. Please don’t tell my wife that this is my master plan to get a larger system in the future.
Neither. They cant go in that small of a tank for any length of time unless its a QT tank for a month or so before going into a bigger tank. 100 gal min for one of them

Edit: 70 minimum for grow out (only last you 2 months though if that)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow, for sure.
My single best rock cleaning fish ever.
Is not overly tang aggressive, good with other tangs (not similar) and general fish population.
Not a ton of yellows in reef stuff so great contrasts.
Not cheap.
IMG_1937.jpeg
Really? Your yellow cleans your rocks?? Mine picks (kinda) but just goes for the nori clip. Same with my purple! My angels and foxface are the only rock pickers in my tank lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it's up to personal preference. Remember, though, that young (small) tangs have a quick growth spurt - then growth slows down. Yellow tangs have lived 40+ years in the wild, and it seems that a lot of the growth is in the first couple years. Thus - you won't have much time to get a new tank. As to which one - I've had purple tangs that were aggressive, and yellow tangs which were aggressive, likewise - both have been peaceful. To me it's up to your personal preference.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Your yellow cleans your rocks?? Mine picks (kinda) but just goes for the nori clip. Same with my purple! My angels and foxface are the only rock pickers in my tank lol
Spends the entire day picking constantly.
Is a wild caught though.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say be honest and your tell your wife what you want and work towards it the right way, instead of playing games.
Agree, as a female we like straight up honesty not games

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Mines a biota! Not sure if the purple is wild or captive to be honest
I’m very interested in the Captives as wilds are banned.
I can’t see much difference in the two once the captives mature a bit.
But interesting it takes algae from the clip only.

I’d like a have a purple, but already 4 tangs and he would challenge all of them.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep zebrasoma in groups, but IME only yellows will tolerate another of the exact same kind. Sailfin + Yellow + Purple trios used to be common before the hawaii ban.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very interested in the Captives as wilds are banned.
I can’t see much difference in the two once the captives mature a bit.
But interesting it takes algae from the clip only.

I’d like a have a purple, but already 4 tangs and he would challenge all of them.
He is really bright!!

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpeg
    IMG_2837.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2822.jpeg
    IMG_2822.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2825.jpeg
    IMG_2825.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 30

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
Very brightly coloured!
That’s impressive….
Yeah thats what people keep saying since he is biota lol just feed him what I feed all my tangs. Dude has grown like a weed! Double his size when I first got him

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not part of the tang police, but 40g will be a bit small for a full-grown purple or yellow tang. If you started out with a captive bred one, you'd have more time before they outgrew the tank.

There is no tang police. There is, however, hobbyist responsibility. The answer is somewhat simple. Purple tangs, for the most part, will be collected wild and therefore a larger size. A 40 breeder outside a isolation, medical, or QT tank is not an option as most of us know. So we can rule that one out.

On the other hand a yellow tang, obtained by legal means, will be captive bred/raised and therefore small. Usually about 1 1/2 inch to 2 inches which makes it the ideal candidate for this setting. Is it ideal? No, not at all because captive bred, raised fish, grow pretty quickly when feed properly.

So TL ; DR - neither. If one says dang the torpedo's and wants one anyway then the yellow would be the better choice. Again no po po but just remember one has to capture the fish to rehome and probably won't go willingly assuming it survives. So stress on the hobbyist, fish, and other animals which could cause other harm.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no tang police. There is, however, hobbyist responsibility. The answer is somewhat simple. Purple tangs, for the most part, will be collected wild and therefore a larger size. A 40 breeder outside a isolation, medical, or QT tank is not an option as most of us know. So we can rule that one out.

On the other hand a yellow tang, obtained by legal means, will be captive bred/raised and therefore small. Usually about 1 1/2 inch to 2 inches which makes it the ideal candidate for this setting. Is it ideal? No, not at all because captive bred, raised fish, grow pretty quickly when feed properly.

So TL ; DR - neither. If one says dang the torpedo's and wants one anyway then the yellow would be the better choice. Again no po po but just remember one has to capture the fish to rehome and probably won't go willingly assuming it survives. So stress on the hobbyist, fish, and other animals which could cause other harm.
Agree. My captive bred yellow doubled in size in 2 months. He is too big for OP’s tank now if that gives you a growth time fram

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what people keep saying since he is biota lol just feed him what I feed all my tangs. Dude has grown like a weed! Double his size when I first got him
It so nice to see captive stuff, at the end of the day, best for everyone.

With the ban, I was getting concerned if I had to replace, I would not be able to get one, but yours look fantastic. Very cool.

The first ones I seen were an inch and half and seemed pale. But maybe that’s just one batch or juvenile coloration.

Got mine at 2” and is 6 years old, seemed to virtually stop growing at 5”.

Love these fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back