Purple Orchid Like Coral? Or Macro Algae?

TinyReefObsession

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2023
Messages
246
Reaction score
300
Location
CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the blurry photo but this is a translucent lavender little thing, reminiscent of an orchid…. I happen to be shining the flashlight under here after turning the flow up and it’s moving gently on the current otherwise I’ve always thought that whatever was under this rock was not alive… Now I’m wondering if this is some kind of coral or algae?

I’ve never seen anything like it so of course I came directly here :) tia!

IMG_7625.jpeg
IMG_7623.jpeg
 
Apologies for the blurry photo but this is a translucent lavender little thing, reminiscent of an orchid…. I happen to be shining the flashlight under here after turning the flow up and it’s moving gently on the current otherwise I’ve always thought that whatever was under this rock was not alive… Now I’m wondering if this is some kind of coral or algae?

I’ve never seen anything like it so of course I came directly here :) tia!

IMG_7625.jpeg
IMG_7623.jpeg
Need better lighting but may be sponge which favor darker . low flow areas
 
Looks like a sponge?
Hmmm it looked smooth- but i’ll look up some sponges just in case! I’m about to post some brighter screenshots I managed to grab from the video I took- still looks like an orchid to me lol

Edit- i forgot to say thanks for the reply! :)
 
Need better lighting but may be sponge which favor darker . low flow areas
Sorry about the light; I had taken a video first and then I forgot I couldn’t upload the video but I managed to grab some screenshots and it looks brighter…

This is definitely one of the darkest and lowest flow areas in the tank… At least it was really low flow until I cranked up the powerhead earlier so if this is a sponge it may not be too happy here much longer Haha

I’m not very familiar with sponges, but wouldn’t be surprised if this was one since this tank is 10+ years old and has rocks that have been in other tanks going back 45+ years was my understanding when I took it over… thanks for the reply!

IMG_7631.jpeg IMG_7630.jpeg IMG_7632.jpeg IMG_7629.jpeg
 
Sorry about the light; I had taken a video first and then I forgot I couldn’t upload the video but I managed to grab some screenshots and it looks brighter…

This is definitely one of the darkest and lowest flow areas in the tank… At least it was really low flow until I cranked up the powerhead earlier so if this is a sponge it may not be too happy here much longer Haha

I’m not very familiar with sponges, but wouldn’t be surprised if this was one since this tank is 10+ years old and has rocks that have been in other tanks going back 45+ years was my understanding when I took it over… thanks for the reply!

IMG_7631.jpeg IMG_7630.jpeg IMG_7632.jpeg IMG_7629.jpeg
I now see other evidence of sponge. Likely it is
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new