Purple queen anthias

Lonnie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one have luck keeping purple queen anthias. Lfs has a special going right now that I can't pass up.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not generally survive long term in systems. Unless you have food running as you would a nps system. I had one for a while with a special set up and it was eating and great, but came down with an infection and was gone in a day after months of having it. Really sucked. They are beautiful, but buying them only perpetuates LFS buying them. JMO

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The situations in which I have seen success withthem is 20+ individuals and they got started on live baby brine. They also need frequent feeding.

OP
OP
Lonnie

Lonnie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks for the heads up. They have been at the lfs for just about two weeks eating and everything. when I saw 3 for $65 I've been watching harder ever since l. Might do it for the experience I have auto feeders so that should help

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were eating dry food? That would be pretty uncommon. So unless they are taking dry food, an auto feeder won't be of much help.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get 4 or 5 more of these but the LFS I normally go to puts them in their reef tank where they can't catch them. I got this one about a year and they have almost the same requirements as a mandarin. I find him to be no trouble but they will not live in a normal tank which is fed flakes and pellets. They need very tiny food like new born brine shrimp but they will eat frozen baby brine shrimp also.
Mine eats all day from my new born brine shrimp feeder and being my tank is not very sterile, he has the opportunity to pick in the water column continousely as that is what that fish needs.

You can see her here at the feeder

Last edited:

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get 4 or 5 more of these but the LFS I normally go to puts them in their reef tank where they can't catch them. I got this one about a year and they have almost the same requirements as a mandarin. I find him to be no trouble but they will not live in a normal tank which is fed flakes and pellets. They need very tiny food like new born brine shrimp but they will eat frozen baby brine shrimp also.
Mine eats all day from my new born brine shrimp feeder and being my tank is not very sterile, he has the opportunity to pick in the water column continousely as that is what that fish needs.

You can see her here at the feeder ?

Beautiful wrasse and pipes, too. Did you make the feeder?

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about 14 months now. It is doing very well. Had I known how hard they were to get eating after being moved I wouldn't have got him. Shortly after I got mine a guy that worked at a lfs tried to keep 3 at home and lost them all. PQA'S are notoriously picky eaters and most don't make it.

I think I lucked up because he was in QT with a Kole Tang and Blue Throat Trigger. I believe that watching them eat triggered it's feeding responce. At least that's my theory.

They will not eat pellet and will only eat smaller frozen foods, mostly small mysis. I mix PE mysis and Hikari mysis. The PE is larger and he will only occasionally eat it but the smaller Hikari is its primary staple. I soak the thawed, drained and rinsed mysis in selcon, vitachem, vitamin C & M. Now the feeding part... they are not only taste & texture eaters but highly visual. So if it doesn't look right they won't eat it, then if it doesn't taste right they spit it out. They will only eat food moving in suspension in the mid level of the water column. I have never seen it pick anything off the bottom or from the surface. I mostly feed twice a day but it will eat more often if offered. They can go a day without eating but not often and after which it's much less picky.

It's rewarding having him in the tank and I've thought about getting 2 females but I don't want to lose them in QT so I haven't done it as I'm not sure I can do it without a different type fish in there too. So knowing all of this you will need to decide if it's a commitment you're willing to take on. If you don't want or think you can feed frozen every day I would recommend not getting them.
2077e3506d235a8c126587e17cafabce.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think unless you are willing to feed them the very small food they require, and frequently, don't try. Oh, and they won't compete well in a typical community tank. I kept a quartet for about a year in my NPS tank by feeding live baby brine, calnus and nutramar ova 5 times a day. Even with all that I could not ultimately keep,them at a survivable body weight.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are only my very short list of fish that I will not ever get at the store that I work. $65 for a trio is an excellent price, but I would rather keep $65 in my pocket then to flush them shortly after acquiring. Unless you are basically going to do a species tank and really know what you are doing I wouldn't buy the for $6.50 for the trio let alone $65

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back