Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it made?and how do you put brine in there? Just freshly hatched brine right?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a white worm feeder for mandarins that keep other fish out. Worms are injected into tube at surface

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White worms? I haven't seen them on my coast. My mandys didn't care for the blacks. Not yet anyway. Too big I suppose.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...trying get full feel for it so got couple questions i apologize if have answered before....how do the fish get the shrimp if they are protected behind the screen ?...also any images of top of feeding tube to see how brine is added (even a vid would be cool)?

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a white worm feeder for mandarins that keep other fish out. Worms are injected into tube at surface

Cool vid ..i noticed you have a hog bangaii cardinal as well mine will darn near eat anything put into tank and they have some large mouths....think thats cool kind gives the target feeders a chance to get food before the other hogs get it

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I don't know if it is great. Some Supermodels are great, but this is OK. :rolleyes:

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not notice that the right pic in the article was the top part my apologies. ..so question is do you just insert that feeder tube into the hole every once in a while to add the brine or do you leave it attached and on there all the time ?...how often do you have to add the brine?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave it in my tank just as it is because I fill it every day. The tube also allows me to pull the thing up to clean or change the mesh that is a stocking. Every 2 weeks it gets covered in algae so I need to clean it. It also gets some bristle worms inside although I have no idea how they get in.

I add brine shrimp every day

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave it in my tank just as it is because I fill it every day. The tube also allows me to pull the thing up to clean or change the mesh that is a stocking. Every 2 weeks it gets covered in algae so I need to clean it. It also gets some bristle worms inside although I have no idea how they get in.

I add brine shrimp every day
So you only add the brine once a day?...still dont see how they get through the stocking/screen i imagine them coming up to it only to have legs bit off and what not??...sorry i am just very interested in this and want make sure i have a full understanding of it

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you only add the brine once a day?...still dont see how they get through the stocking/screen i imagine them coming up to it only to have legs bit off and what not??...sorry i am just very interested in this and want make sure i have a full understanding of it
Google Paul B. He's quite prolific.:oops: Lots of vid on the U tube and many articles too. Also once you get hands on it makes more sense.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screen has holes in it just large enough for the fish to pull them through. Many of them get through all by themselves as they are tiny. Don't stretch the stocking or they will come right through. Trust me it works. I have been using it for many years and my mandarins have been spawning for decades.
Video

And a slightly different model that hatches and feeds. I use this for vacation. They are in my book

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly is

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious is there a way to tell male and female mandarins. ..sry not trying derail post curiosity just got me

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is. I mean besides the females eyelashes and she smells better, she has a rounded dorsal fin as you can see in this picture.

When fully grown, the male is a little larger like here

But the easiest way to tell is that the males dorsal (top fin) can be lifted straight up and it comes to a sharp point towards the front of the fish, not easily seen here on this male but in person it is easy to see.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is. I mean besides the females eyelashes and she smells better, she has a rounded dorsal fin as you can see in this picture.

When fully grown, the male is a little larger like here

But the easiest way to tell is that the males dorsal (top fin) can be lifted straight up and it comes to a sharp point towards the front of the fish, not easily seen here on this male but in person it is easy to see.

Awesome photos and thanks for the info thats cool to know

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back