0   0   0
Male the correct?
20160204_181910.jpg

dgragg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying that I am a terrible DIY person. I do, however think I can make one of these. I had a couple of questions on the top part. What do you use as a funnel? That looks like a push on connector with a funnel glued into it. Also, I read that the shrimp will swim to the light. Do they swim to the bottom of the tube and go out the netting? Do you need to lift it up to pour the shrimp in and lower / re-position it on the sand bed? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. @Paul B

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Dgragg. The normal feeder that I use every day has a small funnel on top of the tube to squirt the shrimp in. I first strain the shrimp so they are in a small amount of water, a few tablespoons, I then use a baster to squirt them into the funnel which is just above the water. I then add a little more water to the funnel so all the shrimp go down into the feeder. If I were to add too much water, the shrimp would be pushed out through the mesh into the tank. I don't want that, I want the shrimp to stay in the feeder so the fish can pull them through the mesh.
I don't have to remove the feeder except about every two weeks to clean it. Algae grows on the mesh and if I didn't remove it to bleach occasionally the holes in the mesh would clog and the shrimp couldn't fit through the holes.
I add shrimp to the funnel so I don't have to remove it for that.
The funnel I use is a small plastic ink bottle that I cut the bottom off and stuck the opening of the bottle on the tube. You can use anything or buy a small plastic funnel. If you use a small enough baster, you can just squirt the shrimp into the tube, but some sort of a funnel is easier.

dgragg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That was very helpful. I just had a fluid dynamics moment when you described how you add the shrimp to the feeder. It all became clear to me. I can't wait to see my fish feasting from the feeder. I'll try to post a picture and video. @Paul B

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B -- your tank is absolutely beautiful :)
Any chance you could tell me who this lovely white with maroon stripes supermodel is? She's quite stunning!
And thank you for posting all the info about the BBS feeder -- planning to set one set up once my tank arrives & matures a bit.
Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 8.11.15 PM.png

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I think that is called a candy cane wrasse but I am sure the LFS made up that name. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DV8R, There is no link to that site any longer as they went out of business. I also tried to go on there until I realized what happened. Those two guys went on to other things. Sorry. :oops:

DV8R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, this is a 5 year old thread...
I didn't know there was a time limit on how long stuff stayed active. Do you happen to know what this feeder looks like? I just bought my first mandarin, and I don't want to wait until a feeder can ship and arrive. Not do I want to pay for something I can easily DIY

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know there was a time limit on how long stuff stayed active. Do you happen to know what this feeder looks like? I just bought my first mandarin, and I don't want to wait until a feeder can ship and arrive. Not do I want to pay for something I can easily DIY
There are threads specifically about DIYing this on here. Search for Paulb mandarin feeder.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back