Purple Slimer - Acropora yongei.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent gotten down to the bottom of this yet and figured I should do so before it's too late.
My Acropora yongei (Purple Slimer) used to have bright blue tips that slowly went purple. I noticed it in the early morning and thought it may be browning on the tips, but under the white lighting it didn't appear brown and was a purple with the very tips being blue. Does anyone know if this is just the growth of the Purple Slimer? here's a photo from a few days after it first went into the tank.
1652480365845.png

and heres a photo from yesterday, you can clearly see the purple/blue (In person it wasnt a purple and was a bright blue) changed to what the rest of the skin looks like. Lighting may be a bit different but I can’t really tell. Is this browning? Or is this what a purple skimmer usually looks like?
50722932-F8AA-4417-A277-55E354C87590.jpeg

Just checked the lighting and remembered that first photo was taken in the early morning and the second was taken at 11:28pm.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like a yongei from that picture but it’s probably just acclimating to your tank and will color bright tips again once growing. In my experience a purple slimer doesn’t really have blue on the tips. The whole coral is pretty much solid purple and the axials will be the same color but bright. I have seen pics of variants that look like they have blue tips but not seen them in person.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my purple slimer The whole thing is purple including new growth.
F56E6CE5-2FFB-428E-8FCD-591F7766163E.jpeg
That’s interesting… My purple slimer looks all purple/brown under whites but under blues is a beautiful green and purple.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be an Acropora Austera. Although that frag is still pretty small to get a definitive ID
That’s interesting to hear, I guess I’ll wait another month or so before another photo. It’s a nightmare getting an ID for acropora as common names suck. Either way it’s a beautiful piece still.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back