PURPLE STYLOPHORA Transformation?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really enjoy my Acros, my Millis, my Pocilloporas and yes Stylophora corals. But I’ve recently observed something in my Stylos development that I have to ask a question that……..someone knows. So the photo below of a young Purple Stylo colony in my tank started out quite small 8 plus months ago. About two or three weeks ago, I began to notice white tips on the ends of each developing branch. Up until then this Stylo in appearance looked more like a pocillopora having a more cauliflower look.
My question is: Has this cauliflower appearing coral “come of age” ? Do these white ends represent the sprouting of coral branches?

What say you? Thanks.
IMG_5322.jpeg

Last edited:

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its means he will finally start growing! The whites are growth tips

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks like a Milka Stylo which is sourced from the Red Sea area. I’ve had nine for 10 years and it goes through phases where it’s solid purple, then gets the white polyps on the ends when conditions are good.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really enjoy my Acros, my Millis, my Pocilloporas and yes Stylophora corals. But I’ve recently observed something in my Stylos development that I have to ask a question that……..someone knows. So the photo below of a young Purple Stylo colony in my tank started out quite small 8 plus months ago. About two or three weeks ago, I began to notice white tips on the ends of each developing branch. Up until then this Stylo in appearance looked more like a pocillopora having a more cauliflower look.
My question is: Has this cauliflower appearing coral “come of age” ? Do these white ends represent the sprouting of coral branches?

What say you? Thanks.
IMG_5322.jpeg
Definatly growth tips.
That coral grows fast, large, wide and tight.
Well done.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks like a Milka Stylo which is sourced from the Red Sea area. I’ve had nine for 10 years and it goes through phases where it’s solid purple, then gets the white polyps on the ends when conditions are good.
Thanks great information.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definatly growth tips.
That coral grows fast, large, wide and tight.
Well done.
Great to know. I haven’t had a stylo in 2 decades. And I’ve definitely seen white tips before on Stylos in other dt at lfs etc. But mine young colony has not just until recently.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more genetics than growth tips. The polyps on the ends are actually white instead of purple. Here’s a pic of mine that shows the white polyps.

IMG_7684.jpeg
Yup, those are what mine look like. But just starting to resemble branches.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any data/info on the differences between Milka and common Purple Stylos?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any data/info on the differences between Milka and common Purple Stylos?

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to link to another thread, but if you search on R2R for “purple vs milka Stylophora”, there’s a thread that discusses them and that thread has a link to a Reefbuilder’s article from 2013 with some information as well.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don’t know how to link to another thread, but if you search on R2R for “purple vs milka Stylophora”, there’s a thread that discusses them and that thread has a link to a Reefbuilder’s article from 2013 with some information as well.
Thanks you’ve been real helpful!

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back