Purple Tang Disease ID

Ronny Pena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Got this Purple Tang in a small softie tank and I’d like to ID the disease, he’s doing better actually, never stopped eating, pic attached is from last Saturday.

IMG_0724.jpeg

What would be your diagnosis? Will take a picture of him later today.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One problem is that the picture is dark, and there are spots either on the glass or in the water. The fact that its getting better or at least not worse suggest Ich to me - which can cause 'spots' and thickened mucus, as well as mucus cones. I'm sure others will weigh it will be good do see a clearer picture

OP
OP
R

Ronny Pena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MnFish, thanks for your input.

This is him a few minutes ago, eating frozen, nori, flakes. I don’t know if the improvement is noticeable thru pics but certainly doing better.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 24

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

This is him a few minutes ago, eating frozen, nori, flakes. I don’t know if the improvement is noticeable thru pics but certainly doing better.
This is ich and fish will have to be isolated in a separate quarantine tank and if even one fit on any other fish, treat them also
Best is coppersafe for a full 30 days at level 2.25-2.5 and add aeration and use a Reliable copper test kit

OP
OP
R

Ronny Pena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is ich and fish will have to be isolated in a separate quarantine tank and if even one fit on any other fish, treat them also
Best is coppersafe for a full 30 days at level 2.25-2.5 and add aeration and use a Reliable copper test kit
Thanks sir, should I treat him even if he’s getting better on his own?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks sir, should I treat him even if he’s getting better on his own?
IF you feel it’s improvement, you can observe but have copper safe ready to go
Often it appears to be improvement and in essence, the the parasite has dropped off to reproduce and return in numbers

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You're welcome often times Ich appears to get better only to worsen days later as more and more infectious 'particles' are in the water. I understand that you're considering an 'ich management' idea (and there are articles about this as a sticky on the disease forum) - however if it were me - I would set up a hospital tank and treat as Ich OR if you can remove your inverts from your display and treat it with hypo salinity (there is also a protocol in a sticky).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back