Purple Tang turned white

Purple•Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed ICH on my purple tang around 9pm tonight, did a freshwater dip and then put into water from my tank that was in a bucket (same temp as my tank also) with paraguard in it for about an hour. She turned white basically after the freshwater dip. Now that I placed her back in our regular tank she’s gasping at the top for air, swimming vertacially and keeps getting stuck on my intake... she’s very white and eyes are bulging. Does she have a chance? Where did I go wrong? Thanks.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear what is happening. Fresh water dips do not have much if any impact on ich and tangs do not take to freshwater dips all that well. Did you add a buffer to increase alkalinity and ph?. How long has your tang been like this?

OP
OP
Purple•Tang

Purple•Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear what is happening. Fresh water dips do not have much if any impact on ich and tangs do not take to freshwater dips all that well. Did you add a buffer to increase alkalinity and ph?. How long has your tang been like this?
Yes I added a PH buffer. About 2 hours now.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more like velvet than ich based on symptoms. FW dips can give temporary relief from velvet, and after the cysts burst and fall off the fish, you can really see the damage they do. Sadly, once visual signs appear on the skin of the fish, gill damage is already done. Pictures would go a long way in a proper diagnosis but I'm afraid the outlook doesn't look good is she is getting stuck to the overflow.

OP
OP
Purple•Tang

Purple•Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more like velvet than ich based on symptoms. FW dips can give temporary relief from velvet, and after the cysts burst and fall off the fish, you can really see the damage they do. Sadly, once visual signs appear on the skin of the fish, gill damage is already done. Pictures would go a long way in a proper diagnosis but I'm afraid the outlook doesn't look good is she is getting stuck to the overflow.
She turned pale after we did the fresh water dip not before. She had little white specs on her, some fell off and some didn’t. Did the freshwater dip for 4 minutes and constantly kept her moving. She wasn’t completely white like velvet before that.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She turned pale after we did the fresh water dip not before. She had little white specs on her, some fell off and some didn’t. Did the freshwater dip for 4 minutes and constantly kept her moving. She wasn’t completely white like velvet before that.
I'm saying you can see where the velvet parasites literally ate the skin off of the fish after they fall off during the dip. They dont look white before the dip, the parasites look like the color of the fish. When they fall off the raw meat is exposed underneath.

In any case, pics are needed for proper identification of whatever is wrong with your fish.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back