Two naso tangs? And fish adding help

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an 8” female normal naso tang the other day, not realizing how much different the blonde males looked. It’s a 200 gallon tank, lots of swimming room.
7’ by 26” by 26”
Wavemakers in places that make the tank have a “current” so the fish can get their energy out without doing laps.

I have a crazy amount of filtration.
Skimmer rated for 800 gallons
Large UV
The 4 4” socks.
Algae refugium

150lbs live rock
300lbs of sand

Total fish stocking then would be:

Male blonde naso (what size do I aim for?)
8” female naso
8” threadfin snapper
7” magnificent foxface
6” emperor angel
5” blue throat trigger
5” polleni grouper
4” purple tang
4” powder blue tang
3” bi color angel

Ideally if I could, I’d like to get a medium sized one, basically right as their streamers start coming in. So a 5-6” one. I can’t see my female one going after a male, she’s so peaceful.

if I can go ahead with this, what should I expect to pay for a medium-large male blonde?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought an 8” female normal naso tang the other day, not realizing how much different the blonde males looked. It’s a 200 gallon tank, lots of swimming room.
7’ by 26” by 26”
Wavemakers in places that make the tank have a “current” so the fish can get their energy out without doing laps.

I have a crazy amount of filtration.
Skimmer rated for 800 gallons
Large UV
The 4 4” socks.
Algae refugium

150lbs live rock
300lbs of sand

Total fish stocking then would be:

Male blonde naso (what size do I aim for?)
8” female naso
8” threadfin snapper
7” magnificent foxface
6” emperor angel
5” blue throat trigger
5” polleni grouper
4” purple tang
4” powder blue tang
3” bi color angel

Ideally if I could, I’d like to get a medium sized one, basically right as their streamers start coming in. So a 5-6” one. I can’t see my female one going after a male, she’s so peaceful.

if I can go ahead with this, what should I expect to pay for a medium-large male blonde?
I would avoid a blonde Naso right now as over the last year, there has been many lost due to suspected capture method and they arrive thin and barely eat or not at all and die off

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid a blonde Naso right now as over the last year, there has been many lost due to suspected capture method and they arrive thin and barely eat or not at all and die off
If I find a large one that’s been at a store for a while, should I get it?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend adding another for two additional reasons:

1) The stock list is a pretty large one and those fish will outgrow a 180-220G in not a lot of time believe it or not.
2) Two naso can get along together with enough real estate as they are not often aggressive with another but a 200G is not ideal for this as well.

I guess both reasons are pretty related, lol. Best of luck to you. Also, naso tangs don't start their streamers until they're around 4.5-7" so it's possible that you have a male now if it's under that size.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend adding another for two additional reasons:

1) The stock list is a pretty large one and those fish will outgrow a 180-220G in not a lot of time believe it or not.
2) Two naso can get along together with enough real estate as they are not often aggressive with another but a 200G is not ideal for this as well.

I guess both reasons are pretty related, lol. Best of luck to you. Also, naso tangs don't start their streamers until they're around 4.5-7" so it's possible that you have a male now if it's under that size.
I’m considering setting up a pond in my basement anyway, 800-1000gallons, so once they outgrow this, they have that. I’m positive this isn’t a male tho, she’s 9-10”.
I was thinking because there’s so many other fish, maybe they could divert aggression? Also, I have lots of rock, so the smaller one would have a better chance of doing well.

Attachments

• IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 40

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I find a large one that’s been at a store for a while, should I get it?
Make sure it’s breathing normal, eating very well and plump- not skinny

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back