Purple tang twitching

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I noticed my purple tang started to twitch a lot. other fish seem fine so water parameters should not be the problem. I did add in two clowns this weekend however they were in qt for 2 weeks and were fine and before I put them in the tank I dipped them and freshwater dipped them. at this moment I don't know what could be causing this. its not rubbing against the rocks so it's not flukes and there is no ich in my system so I'm kind of dumbfounded on what could be causing this.

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been acting this way? When did you last test your water and what were your numbers?

I wouldn't call that twitching. That is some strange behavior though.

Can you provide a closeup still shot for a detailed look at him?

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He started to act like this fairly recently after i added two clownfish into the tank. the clowns were in qt for two weeks with copper and were dipped then with freshwater. hes eating but idk don't know whether or not to worry about this.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He started to act like this fairly recently after i added two clownfish into the tank. the clowns were in qt for two weeks with copper and were dipped then with freshwater. hes eating but idk don't know whether or not to worry about this.
Only two weeks of copper? What copper treatment and at what level? Generally two weeks isnt long enough it had to be a full 30 days.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure what to suggest. He's intermittently bolting around the tank, almost like he's paranoid. I don't feel like it is disease. #reefsquad.

Clowns can be extremely territorial. I'm wondering if he's behaving this way because they're giving him a difficult time. How big is the tank?

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want my uneducated opinion? He is bored. You dont have much live rock and there isnt anywhere to hide or anything for him to do. He is bored and becoming irritated.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only two weeks of copper? What copper treatment and at what level? Generally two weeks isnt long enough it had to be a full 30 days.

Two weeks in copper is long enough to disrupt the lifecycle of ich and velvet as long as you move the fish directly to a sterile tank. You've basically treated for long enough that all the parasites have dropped off the fish and not had a chance to re-infect them (due to the copper treatment). There may still be encysted parasites in the treated tank, but if you take the fish out, then you've eliminated this issue.

Humblefish says: "Keep the fish in CP or copper (at therapeutic levels) for one month. However, you can transfer the fish into a non-medicated holding tank for observation after just two weeks..."

It's probably best to transfer into a sterile QT for some additional observation, but generally I'd consider the fish clear after two weeks of treatment.

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that twitching is a sign of internal parasites, most likely flukes. But I could be completely wrong.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that twitching is a sign of internal parasites, most likely flukes. But I could be completely wrong.

I wouldn't call it twitching.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say check it for Flukes. Do a freshwater dip. If it swims normally post dip then treat for flukes. If it’s still acting the same after putting him back in the tank post freshwater dip then it’s something else.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks in copper is long enough to disrupt the lifecycle of ich and velvet as long as you move the fish directly to a sterile tank. You've basically treated for long enough that all the parasites have dropped off the fish and not had a chance to re-infect them (due to the copper treatment). There may still be encysted parasites in the treated tank, but if you take the fish out, then you've eliminated this issue.

Humblefish says: "Keep the fish in CP or copper (at therapeutic levels) for one month. However, you can transfer the fish into a non-medicated holding tank for observation after just two weeks..."

It's probably best to transfer into a sterile QT for some additional observation, but generally, I'd consider the fish clear after two weeks of treatment.
yes, the tank was sterile that's why i only id two weeks. today the tang looked a lot worse so i immediately acclimated him to the qt along with 3 other fish that were in the tank. dossed it with coppers and i guess ill see what happens. today i saw some discoloration behind his tail on the body with clear dots. don't know what that was so that's what caused me to pull the trigger on putting the guy into a qt.
I couldn't even fathom the thought of this guy passing considering this is my first saltwater fish and (by accident) and he has a great personality but i guess ill do whatever i possibly can to solve this problem. Also, do you know if mixing copper with vitamin c is okay? because i hear vitamin c is really good for the fish.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what to suggest. He's intermittently bolting around the tank, almost like he's paranoid. I don't feel like it is disease. #reefsquad.

Clowns can be extremely territorial. I'm wondering if he's behaving this way because they're giving him a difficult time. How big is the tank?
75 gallon

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the tank was sterile that's why i only id two weeks. today the tang looked a lot worse so i immediately acclimated him to the qt along with 3 other fish that were in the tank. dossed it with coppers and i guess ill see what happens. today i saw some discoloration behind his tail on the body with clear dots. don't know what that was so that's what caused me to pull the trigger on putting the guy into a qt.
I couldn't even fathom the thought of this guy passing considering this is my first saltwater fish and (by accident) and he has a great personality but i guess ill do whatever i possibly can to solve this problem. Also, do you know if mixing copper with vitamin c is okay? because i hear vitamin c is really good for the fish.

I'm sorry to read this development. Other than behavior, he looked like a perfectly healthy fish. Perhaps the behavior is a very early stage of disease. I don't know.

When I think of twitching, I think of a fish swimming about normally and then momentarily acting as it it god a chill. What I observed was more of a darting behavior to me.

Following along to see how this turns out. Fingers crossed. Good luck.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear dots sounds to me like flukes. I’d try a 5 minute freshwater dip and check the container for flukes (they look like white seeds when they fall off the fish). Treatment for that would be prazipro or hyposalinity.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear dots sounds to me like flukes. I’d try a 5 minute freshwater dip and check the container for flukes (they look like white seeds when they fall off the fish). Treatment for that would be prazipro or hyposalinity.
do you think copper would kill flukes?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back