Purple Tang

Redemption626

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m starting a with 75 gallon tank!! I would love a purple tang! Now I do plan on upgrading, the question is how long do I have with the purple tang before I have to do the upgrade??

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a year

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m starting a with 75 gallon tank!! I would love a purple tang! Now I do plan on upgrading, the question is how long do I have with the purple tang before I have to do the upgrade??

Depends on how big it is when you get it. A baby will be fine. An adult, not so much. I kept 3 tangs in my 55g for about a year till I upgraded to a 135 a couple weeks ago. These were all very small when I got them. They had time to grow into the tank. Now, they can enjoy the much more spacious digs.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above, it all depends on how big your starting specimen is.

One thing I will warn you, with age comes aggression. The purple tang is one of the worst so you may want to wait until you have absolutely everything you want in the tank. If you don’t then unfortunately it’s likely the tang will be the result of many deaths. I’d really wait on the tang until you upgrade, another factor to how long you’ll have is depending on what the other fish in the tank are.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, mine has been in the 75 for about 7 years. But, I have few fish with it. Pair of clowns, royal Gramma, fathead and algae blennie.

Attachments

• 20210221_173138.jpg
    20210221_173138.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 46

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, yellows and purples in 75/90 tanks eventually go postal on other laterally compressed fish (other tangs, butterflies, certain angels). But, if there's enough swimming room and no other bigger fish, they do okay for quite a while. Ideally, a 6' 125 is better, and they can stay there for life.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention. A white tail would work well and have a similar look.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back