Purple Tip Sabae Anemone

southfla79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anything is wrong with it. We’ve had it almost 2 weeks now. Most nights it would close up (read that’s normal) but this morning when I checked it was upside down.
Got home from work and it’s still upside down but more open if that makes sense.

Is there something wrong? Tested and ammonia and nitrites are 0. Salinity is 1.023. Nitrates around around 5.

anemone.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Nems in general like old tanks that are very stable. Could be a change in PH, Alk, or lighting.

OP
OP
S

southfla79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 10 months old. We did do a water change this weekend. Could that have caused it?

Been searching for a couple hours since I posted here and a couple other places and I'm not sure what to think. Some say it's normal, others say it's on death's door. Think it'll bounce back?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem seems to be in poor shape and likely bleached before you purchased. Was this sold online or local? Has it been steadily regressing? What lighting do you have?

OP
OP
S

southfla79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS. He was whitish with purple tips when we got him. Roughly the same color over the past 2 weeks and still with the purple tips. It's moved some around the tank but generally in the same area.

This morning was the first sign something was wrong in comparison to other pictures i've seen online.

Tank is 110g and have two NICREW 150W Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks

Do you think we should flip it over or leave it and see how it does?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS. He was whitish with purple tips when we got him. Roughly the same color over the past 2 weeks and still with the purple tips. It's moved some around the tank but generally in the same area.

This morning was the first sign something was wrong in comparison to other pictures i've seen online.

Tank is 110g and have two NICREW 150W Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks

Do you think we should flip it over or leave it and see how it does?
I'm not the best with sebae so let's see if I can get some others in here.

@Lost in the Sauce @F i s h y @fishguy242 @Eagle_Steve

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure if anything is wrong with it. We’ve had it almost 2 weeks now. Most nights it would close up (read that’s normal) but this morning when I checked it was upside down.
Got home from work and it’s still upside down but more open if that makes sense.

Is there something wrong? Tested and ammonia and nitrites are 0. Salinity is 1.023. Nitrates around around 5.

anemone.png
Often when this occurs, there is too much light intensity, insufficient flow or high phosphates. While this type of anemone requires basic care, assure salinity is at least 1.024 and Temperature not too warm

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flip it so we can see the mouth. Agree it looks bleached. But white sebae are typically harder to tell if they are healthy based on color alone. The sebae will do best with a hard substrate to attach to. So it should have a rock for its base or at a minimum rock rubble.

When you flip it, let us know if it is sticky or just jelly like. It should sticky.

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often when this occurs, there is too much light intensity, insufficient flow or high phosphates. While this type of anemone requires basic care, assure salinity is at least 1.024 and Temperature not too warm
Agree with needing to know where your po4 is and salinity is def low. 1.024 to 1.026 for nems is recommended.

OP
OP
S

southfla79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't feel jelly like but definitely didn't feel sticky. When I flipped it over it did expel something but couldn't catch a pic of it.

Attachments

• anemone2.jpg
    anemone2.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
S

southfla79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with needing to know where your po4 is and salinity is def low. 1.024 to 1.026 for nems is recommended.
No phosphate test, unfortunately :/ but will get one soon.

As to salinity, so much conflicting information online! LFS advised that the 1.023 would be sufficient. Guess not :/

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't feel jelly like but definitely didn't feel sticky. When I flipped it over it did expel something but couldn't catch a pic of it.
Mouth is open a little but it doesn't look terrible. Put it in a place where it has the opportunity to attach its foot to a rock.

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No phosphate test, unfortunately :/ but will get one soon.

As to salinity, so much conflicting information online! LFS advised that the 1.023 would be sufficient. Guess not :/
A typical reef is run at 1.025 or 1.026.

OP
OP
S

southfla79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a tank pic. Any recommendations on best place? I had read sebae's usually like sand so we let it stay at ground level.

For reference - it initially settled over on the right between the middle-ish rock formation and the one on the far right. It slowly moved it's way over until this morning it was next to the star fish. It's now further left after I flipped it.

image_50407937.JPG

OP
OP
S

southfla79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's almost exactly where he was initially. Will move him back over there. As to the lights, not sure if this helps:

• Full color spectrum (popular blue spectrum, red, green and Violet+UV) can promote optimal coral growth and enhance dramatic coloration, while creating a gentle shimmer throughout the aquarium
  • With a maximum spread of 30″ x 30″, the light has an average PAR of 305µMol at a depth of 28 inches, perfect for medium to large reef tanks
  • Smart fans for LEDs temperature control ensuring optimal LEDs' working conditions
  • With touch control, white and blue channels can be operated together or independently, allowing you to adjust the light intensity and spectrum for your tank
  • Easily mount your light on your rimmed or rimless tank with the tank mount included, you can also choose to suspend the light above your aquarium with the hanging kit (Included)

Got them on recommendation from a friend who has years of experience with reef tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back