Push to connect fittings

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DNT is likely referring to the manufacturer DNTFIT which is a maker of quick fit connectors. The “1/4” is likely the slip fit size (this can be easily test with 1/4” tubing). I’m not as sure about the “22”, however this may be an abbreviation of the part number “PL 0202” which is a 1/4” slip fit to 1/4” threaded elbow

As a side note, my understanding is that the NPTF is a tapered thread that is usually used for fuel so I would look for NPT (not NPTF).

If my assumptions are correct, then you can look for a 1/4” thread quick fit at your local hardware store to see if it screws in correctly. Good luck!

NPTF is the fuel-thread version. The pitch and taper is the same as NPT, but the NPTF has a different crest form and responds differently when torqued. For this application, they're interchangeable to not matter.

However, the fitting on the unit is clearly not NPT(F) :)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to HomeDepot and Ace hardware so far, and both stores only have a single type of such connectors. There is basically nothing to choose from.

The home Depot in my town has had John guest fittings labelled with the wrong thread type for years. You could be running into that.

I've even shown them that some of the fittings don't fit together even though the labelling suggests they do and the one person who understands what I'm saying says they've been trying to get it fixed for years but it is what it is. Maybe you're running into that problem?

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DNT is likely referring to the manufacturer DNTFIT which is a maker of quick fit connectors. The “1/4” is likely the slip fit size (this can be easily test with 1/4” tubing). I’m not as sure about the “22”, however this may be an abbreviation of the part number “PL 0202” which is a 1/4” slip fit to 1/4” threaded elbow

As a side note, my understanding is that the NPTF is a tapered thread that is usually used for fuel so I would look for NPT (not NPTF).

If my assumptions are correct, then you can look for a 1/4” thread quick fit at your local hardware store to see if it screws in correctly. Good luck!
You are totally right, Sherlock!
http://www.dntfit.com/Quick-Fitting/Male-Elbow-2129.html - This is exactly my fitting, PL0202 to be precise. It's still not clear from their website whether they use BSP or some other thread standard, but I can shoot them an email.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, China uses the ISO G thread standard, which happens to be the same as BSPP. Chances are high the fitting from freshwater systems will fit.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how it ended :)

I emailed DNTFIT and they said their thread is NPT.
Coralvue support also says the thread should be NPT.
NPT adapters from Home Depot didn't work and I ordered a couple of BSP adapters from Freshwater Systems.

To my eye, the thread looks identical to the original DNT thread. Took a little effort to screw it in, but it sits snugly without leaks.
IMG_5365.jpeg

Go figure why I replaced the supposed NPT adapter with a BSP one, but the kalkster has been doing okay since then.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still running this with no problems? I have tried switching to a straight fitting, drilling a small hole in the filler cap to prevent vacuum lock, vent with a 1/4 npt to 3/8 john guest and I am still getting back up in my drain line. Before the 1/4 line was sealing off at the sump and causing an over flow. Now it seems there is an excess of slurry getting into the john guest drain fitting at the top and i have to use a pipe brush to clean it out all too often. For as expensive as these things are they shouldn’t be this big of a pain in the butt! I read on another forum that the magnetic stirrer should not be mixing the slurry all the way to the top and that there should still be some clear water up there while it stirs. However with the stick stir bar and setting it on 50% power for the base it definitely gets the kalk all the way up there. Can anyone chime on on this? Maybe this is my problem, or am I starting my dosing too soon after stopping the stir? I stir for 5 minutes every 6 hours, stop doser while it stirs them resume doser 10 minutes after stirring stops.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running this thing since Feb without issues.
1. There is no holes in the cap in my setup, and this may be playing a role, as when the pump pushes the RO water in, Kalk has to go somewhere, and the only exit is the 1/4 inch hole. I also tried to elevate the stirrer as much as possible.
2. Regarding the slurry, I don't really have this problem on the connector side. More often the output side of the hose gets clogged. I use "Kalkwasser Dry Powder Mix" by two little fishies, maybe it's contributing too.
3. The magnetic stirrer in my case stirs everything from the bottom up creating a funnel on the surface. I run it for 15 minutes every 4 hours :00-15 minutes, and dose 30ml every hour at :50 minutes. I put about 2-3 tablespoons at a time, which is enough for a few weeks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back