Putting hermits into sump filter sock area?

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a bad idea to put a hermit or two into my filter sock area? We have a two yellow tangs, a naso, and a banner fish. They eat lots of nori. Some gets into the sump filter sock and plenty of their poop does too. Any reason why I can't put a hermit or two into my sump filter sock area for them to chow down? The sump is built so the hermits should only be confined to that area, three socks to move around to.

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, you could. But why would you? I don't see it having a net impact on nutrients and would just make changing your socks harder?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a bad idea to put a hermit or two into my filter sock area? We have a two yellow tangs, a naso, and a banner fish. They eat lots of nori. Some gets into the sump filter sock and plenty of their poop does too. Any reason why I can't put a hermit or two into my sump filter sock area for them to chow down? The sump is built so the hermits should only be confined to that area, three socks to move around to.
yes, bad idea, they'd be disturbed by it, have no new shells and make changing the sock hell. You should keep them in the tank. if you don't like having a sock, get something to hold some disposable floss instead and just change it when its dirty.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they move between socks I'm confused? I am planning at some point to probably throw some in the various compartments of my sump to eat detritus that the socks don't catch, but I wouldn't put one actually inside the sock

OP
OP
R

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, bad idea, they'd be disturbed by it, have no new shells and make changing the sock hell. You should keep them in the tank. if you don't like having a sock, get something to hold some disposable floss instead and just change it when its dirty.
Ahh, I forgot about them looking for new shells. I guess I didn't think about it it would disturb them since I figured it'd be like a buffet for them with all the food coming to them instead of having to go searching. I was thinking of just one of two, so it wouldn't be that tough since I turn them inside out to rinse before tossing it into the dirty pile.

OP
OP
R

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they move between socks I'm confused? I am planning at some point to probably throw some in the various compartments of my sump to eat detritus that the socks don't catch, but I wouldn't put one actually inside the sock

https://bashsea.com/bashsea-products/signature-series-sumps/

We have that sump. I thought they'd be able to climb in and out if the three socks. I had also thought about putting in some long scrap pieces of eggcrate for them to climb around.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, I forgot about them looking for new shells. I guess I didn't think about it it would disturb them since I figured it'd be like a buffet for them with all the food coming to them instead of having to go searching. I was thinking of just one of two, so it wouldn't be that tough since I turn them inside out to rinse before tossing it into the dirty pile.
they need to be around other crabs. being in a sock environment would stress and drastically shorten the lifespan of the crab especially if its only one. They need a good environment. PLUS you filter sock is made to catch waste, your crabs will clean better if they clean the display. putting them in a sock is a bad idea any way you put it.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://bashsea.com/bashsea-products/signature-series-sumps/

We have that sump. I thought they'd be able to climb in and out if the three socks. I had also thought about putting in some long scrap pieces of eggcrate for them to climb around.

I don't think its a good idea long term, but now you have to try for science lol. I would think the downward flow would be to strong for them to climb out off a sock.
Also I'm not sure Hermit Crabs need to be around other hermits. I ordered a shipment of invertebrates, i got 5 baby hermits, and one of my "cerith snails" was actually an adult hermit I think a Mexican Red Leg and he murdered all the smaller hermits. 2 Years later he's still happy in my frag tank hasn't eaten any snails just murdered all his hermit friends.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its a good idea long term, but now you have to try for science lol. I would think the downward flow would be to strong for them to climb out off a sock.
Also I'm not sure Hermit Crabs need to be around other hermits. I ordered a shipment of invertebrates, i got 5 baby hermits, and one of my "cerith snails" was actually an adult hermit I think a Mexican Red Leg and he murdered all the smaller hermits. 2 Years later he's still happy in my frag tank hasn't eaten any snails just murdered all his hermit friends.
its a bad idea. there is no good that comes from it. no, for most hermits, they do need to be with other hermits. They can get competitive if you dont have enough shells/space or if the species dont get along. theres also a pecking order that can become violent under certain situations

Back