putting in new rocks without disturbing sand bed

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon I will be cycling rocks and switching them out with the ones in my tank that has been running for 6 months. My sand bed is around an inch and a half deep. How do I go about removing the rocks and putting new ones in (and burying them as I have goby/pistol) without disturbing the sand bed? I am going to remove all cuc before so I don't accidently crush anyone. Should I remove all the fish too temporarily in case I disturb the sand bed too much while I try to bury the rock?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon I will be cycling rocks and switching them out with the ones in my tank that has been running for 6 months. My sand bed is around an inch and a half deep. How do I go about removing the rocks and putting new ones in (and burying them as I have goby/pistol) without disturbing the sand bed? I am going to remove all cuc before so I don't accidently crush anyone. Should I remove all the fish too temporarily in case I disturb the sand bed too much while I try to bury the rock?
Remove the goby and pistol pair then clean your sand bed after you remove all the rocks. (Python cleaner or remove and rinse)

disturbing a sand bed is only ill advised when the tank and sand is so old it has developed pockets of hydrogen sulfide that you do NOT want to release into the water column.
6 month old sand will likely just be full of silt and DOC.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the goby and pistol pair then clean your sand bed after you remove all the rocks. (Python cleaner or remove and rinse)

disturbing a sand bed is only ill advised when the tank and sand is so old it has developed pockets of hydrogen sulfide that you do NOT want to release into the water column.
6 month old sand will likely just be full of silt and DOC.
I also have 2 clowns and a midas. Would I remove those too? I'll just syphon with the python. Thanks for the suggestion!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back