Putting rock in sump

christian1989

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2025
Messages
7
Reaction score
7
Location
Sheffield
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add some of my mature rock to my new tanks sump but it’s covered in hair algae. Will this spread to the rest of the rock in the display or will it die of in the sump? No lights in sump
 
Without light it should eventually die off, but when it starts to die off you'll get a large nutrient spike from the dead algae.

I run a small, cheap LED light in my sump to specifically grow some GHA. I have a trochus snail group that breeds in the sump and it sustains itself; I always have plenty of snails to trade or add to the display tank. Just an idea
 
I was just about to ask this same thing. I have a nice chunk of live rock thats in my small AIO and I am moving all the livestock back to the main display and didn’t want to lose this live rock so was planning to move the rock to my sump, but didn’t want to add any GHA into my display if it would somehow spread from the sump to the display.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new