PVC cement

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the products and method you use to glue your slip connections?
Will all the products glue PVC to UPVC, PVC to ABS, PVC to CPVC, ect.?
How do you glue these mixed plastic connections?

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm old school, i just use sched40 pvc, purple primer and glue.
I don't really worry about any small drips, as it's under the stand anyway.
I know there are special glues for pvc vs cpvc, but i'm not sure about when to use which. One of the major reasons i stick with what works.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the products and method you use to glue your slip connections?
Will all the products glue PVC to UPVC, PVC to ABS, PVC to CPVC, ect.?
How do you glue these mixed plastic connections?

To my knowledge the only mixed plastic connections that require a special cement are ABS to PVC joints. There is a specific cement used and it will be labeled on the can that it is it's intended use. Outside of that the mixed PVC joints I'm not sure. Typically in the hobby we generally use PVC for everything else so I wouldn't see it being an issue one would come across using standard PVC glue

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipe and fittings usually are PVC but Ive seen numerous bulkheads that are ABS and unions that are CPVC or UPVC. This is why I ask.

dduby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge the only mixed plastic connections that require a special cement are ABS to PVC joints. There is a specific cement used and it will be labeled on the can that it is it's intended use. Outside of that the mixed PVC joints I'm not sure. Typically in the hobby we generally use PVC for everything else so I wouldn't see it being an issue one would come across using standard PVC glue

This. Anything connecting to an ABS fitting needs special cement for ABS applications

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipe and fittings usually are PVC but Ive seen numerous bulkheads that are ABS and unions that are CPVC or UPVC. This is why I ask.

Most, almost all bulkheads available are ABS. Personally I just use threaded ABS bulkheads and this avoids the whole glue issue altogether. Also pretty much all Schedule 40 unions are made of PVC, Schedule 80 fittings and unions are a different story however. Manufacturers will have specific recommendations as to what type of glue to use for there UPVC and CPVC fittings and it's usually best to just follow those. Most people do just use standard PVC glue for these fittings as well and don't seem to have much of an issue. I think the real issue with not using specific glues with different types of PVC comes in when there is high pressure involved, atleast those are my thoughts.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have been looking at all schedule 80 connections. Probably why I have been seeing different materials used.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have been looking at all schedule 80 connections. Probably why I have been seeing different materials used.

More than likely why you are seeing different types of PVC involved. FWIW even Schedule 40 is overkill for most of our plumbing applications. Most choose Schedule 80 purely for the looks of it. But in reality it's wildly overkill lol The only time I would ever actually suggest Schedule 80 would be for a closed loop system for the bulkheads specifically. Everything else, Schedule 40 is excellent, plus it has the added bonus of being available in numerous colors.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted the sch 80 because it is grey.
I think I have found a product that works with ABS and all PVC types. You need to prime the PVC parts (not the ABS) with this though.

Roberth101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted the sch 80 because it is grey.
I think I have found a product that works with ABS and all PVC types. You need to prime the PVC parts (not the ABS) with this though.

I use the same cement on mine. It seams to have a solid bond to both my pvc and my abs bulkheads. I use schedule 40 for the simple fact I am cheap and 40 costs less....lol

20191031_094354.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back