PVC glue - clean look - how?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I purchased a used setup which includes great looking orange PVC plumbing for the sump andreturn, etc as pictured. I need to add a new section to adjust for me setup. I have done alot of pvc plumbing over the years with purple primer visible everywhere . In this plumbing, it is super clean. Does anyone know hone to keep this look ? Did the origI also owner. Or use two part pvc cement?..just trying to understand how to avoid five usual purple primer and blue cement mess

any advice is appreciated
Thanks
EB739E2C-5256-4218-B93C-39A8ABEC32CC.jpeg

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get away with no primer as well

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep no primer. This is not a super pressurized application. Clear glue is all you need. Or if you like the blue stuff I'd try some painters tape to keep it from dripping

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely avoid the purple, and have paper towels ready for after you push the pipes together and hold tight for 30 seconds; then very quickly wipe off the clear excess before it dries.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like they didn't use any primer although they may have used clear primer. They may also have used Weld-On 700, 704 or 717 which don't need primer

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've read that many don't use primer just because of the low pressure most of the pumps we use run at. But I use it. I use clear primer and clear glue.
I also keep wipe rags handy. I glue a joint and once it's in, I wipe the all the way around the joint making sure to remove all traces of the glue that squeezes out.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
primer isn't neede for the pressures you are dealing with. I always have a damp rag handy and as soon as i push the pipe into the socket a quick wipe with a damp cloth will keep the joints looking nice and clean. If you don't feel comfortable not using primer than use a clear one. The purple was added only to allow for quicker inspections by inspectors doing them. It does nothing to the primer other than make it easy to see if it was used.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the grey PVC is schedule 80 pvc used mainly in very high pressure or areas with a lot of vibrations. Using the white schedule 40 is fine or even the foam core pvc which is much lighter and easier to cut......

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to everything here, I personally use clear cleaner, clear primer and clear glue. I was able to get all three from big box retailers (like Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes & Menards in the US)

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's even cheaper at a commercial plumbing supply place. they can get you pretty much anything you can dream about, orange, yellow, blue or clear PVC yep, spears gate valves and ball valves, fittings.. yep and way less than hobby vendors, and or HD supply or Lowes.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the whole idea with the purple primer is so the inspectors can tell that the plumber bothered to use primer...i swear clear stuff still exists...you may have to check at an actual plumbing supply house instead of a big box store

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's even cheaper at a commercial plumbing supply place. they can get you pretty much anything you can dream about, orange, yellow, blue or clear PVC yep, spears gate valves and ball valves, fittings.. yep and way less than hobby vendors, and or HD supply or Lowes.
do you have one you recommend that carries colored piping and color fittings?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear primer, clear glue. Apply primer to fitting and tube. Wait 30-45 secs. Apply glue to fitting, not tube. Insert tube to fitting and slightly twist tube into fitting. Hold for 30 secs so tube doesn’t push out. By applying glue to fitting, the glue is pushed into the fitting vs pushed out onto tube.

Quastermayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used clear primer and clear glue prime all pieces glue everything once I push the pipe in give it a turn and then I take my finger and run it around the seam to smooth out the glue and wipe up immediately with a paper towel

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 66 49.3%
  • Full frame

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 16.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back