PVC overflow issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter MrDJeep123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2012
Messages
1,937
Reaction score
480
Location
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a PVC overflow for a year or so now on the tank. It's been running great. All of a sudden today I've lost siphon. I have no idea why. I close the pipe to the sump to prime, but nothing. I have an aqua lifter to help with air removal. But nothing is happening.

I'm going to assume something is causing blockage? I kind of need immediate help.
 
Edit:

I think we might be ok. It took several tries to prime. I don't know why. Usually I can do it once and siphon begins.

I guess I'll be looking at getting an overflow then.
 
I ran pvc overflows for a long time. best thing I did was trash them. but, if youre having problems pulling a syphon you may have a crack or a large air leak on a seam. best thing you could do is build 2 new ones. double them up as a fail safe. also remember, and aqua lifter doesn't pull very hard, so if you do loose syphon, that aqua lifter may not be enough to start the syphon. what I did as a fail safe was run a powerhead with a lot of pull with a hose connected. it would spray the top of the tank with microbubbles every once in a while, but if I ever lost syphon it pulled it quickly.
 
I ran pvc overflows for a long time. best thing I did was trash them. but, if youre having problems pulling a syphon you may have a crack or a large air leak on a seam. best thing you could do is build 2 new ones. double them up as a fail safe. also remember, and aqua lifter doesn't pull very hard, so if you do loose syphon, that aqua lifter may not be enough to start the syphon. what I did as a fail safe was run a powerhead with a lot of pull with a hose connected. it would spray the top of the tank with microbubbles every once in a while, but if I ever lost syphon it pulled it quickly.

I'm aware the aqua lifter doesn't have much pull. I mainly use it to keep air out when a siphon needs to be restarted, as it does a good job at that. I've inspected the best I can, and I don't see any cracks. I'm sure leaking would be a pretty big indicator of that. There isn't any leaking near or around the important parts. I'm not concerned about overflowing. More concerned about the pump running dry and needing to repair that.

Certainly appreciate the comments. I'll look at making another one. I've been considering the idea of buying an overflow and drilling the back of the tank. I'm not fond of that idea, however.
 
If you can take it off the tank, cover any open end and blow through one side as hard as you can. If you can blow air through it you have yourself a Crack. Also if your aqua lifter is connected with air tubing check that first. Stuff gets brittle pretty quick.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new