Pyramid Butterflyfish Flukes?

OP
OP

2AReefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be expecting your final thoughts on this OP. I believe that @Thaxxx may be correct in his statement. I did a 75% water change and this time the water is crystalline. I have AI Prime HDs on my QTs (I know, I know, but's all I have) and maybe the disco effect makes the missing scales more prominent.

Now, I still see some slight bumps, is this normal. Just a few. I also have not been able to find out what could that white bubble be or how to treat if required. Ironically, these fish are so slim, yet they eat like pigs since day two. Absolutely everything I have thrown in the mix, the devour! LOL

They are very active and aside the issues mentioned in the thread, I think they may make it. Please bear with my ignorance, can I do both Hypo-salinity and Copper Power or would this be too much?

Based on your picture your fish looks pretty healthy, minus the bumps. Doesn't seem too skinny. Mine was borderline emaciated when I received it. Maybe the bumps are an internal infection? I am no expert, but it might be worth treating with food soaked in API General Cure and Seachem Focus. At the very least it would ensure your fish do not have internal parasites and hopefully solve your issue too.

As far as the hypo and copper goes…. I would be very careful. If I recall correctly, copper increases in toxicity at lower saline levels. That might only be ionic copper though like seachem cupramine.

TriggerFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the awesome community help (as usual). I will continue hypo-salinity treatment for a few more weeks, then treat with General Cure, and possibly Copper Power just to be on the safe side. For now, these guys are gulping absolutely every food I have in my arsenal. :D

Good luck OP and thank you for allowing me in your thread.

OP
OP

2AReefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: All is well with the butterfly. Its been in the display tank for weeks now without issue. Seems like what I was seeing was just missing scales. Thank you again to everyone for the help.

@TriggerFan how did your treatment go?

TriggerFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as you. I had multiple other fish in QT along with the pyramid butterflies and everyone did well for 1.5 months in QT.

I actually stopped by some LFS that had some and they all looked the same, so I concluded it’s due to their larger scales or missing scales.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back